ysBarrel Cleaning During Load Testing?

Crusader

Hey guys, I'm going to do some load development (Savage LRPV in 6BR) at the range. Going to try 3 different bullets; I'll be shooting 3 rounds each of 6 different powder weights for the three bullets, total = 54 rounds (following 3 sighters/warmup shots).

So, would it be a good thing to clean the barrel during the process? If so, at what point? Or would it be better to avoid it? It seems to be a tossup/debatable as to whether the barrel would be too dirty near the end w/o cleaning, or if I cleaned say "halfway" through, would that skew the process somehow? (Of course, I'd shoot some more foulers after cleaning).

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

I don't clean my barrel during load work. Most Savages like dirty barrels anyways. Either way you do it just pick your best groups and shoot them again to verify.

My barrels are lucky to get cleaned after 3-400 rounds have gone through them.

I have to agree that all of the savage rifles that i own or have owned shoot much better with a dirty barrel. it just about drove me crazy trying to work up a accurate load and cleaning every five shots.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I too own various Savages. I clean my barrels after every shooting whether I shoot 20 rds or 60 rounds. And since you are testing, I would clean the barrel before the testing. 54 rounds is really nothing although I usually only shoot 35 - 40 rds out of my Savage Model 12 Benchrest Target rifle and clean her before next firing. I will also say I do not agree with the idea that a rifle is necessarily a better shootin rifle when the barrel is dirty. Sure you fire fowlers, but each rifle will tell you whether they like to be shot dirty because not all do. Some have a drop off in accuracy which is a sign they want to be cleaned.

During initial load development, I usually spend "quality" time with my barrel. 4 patches of your favorite copper cleaner would tell you volumes about how your particular barrel copper fouls about the 20 round mark.

If you are shooting long bullets, you should expect more copper fouling than with bullets with less bearing surface.

Group size you are happy with is a huge factor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman

"During initial load development, I usually spend "quality" time with my barrel.... "

You made me laugh
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: CrusaderHey guys, I'm going to do some load development (Savage LRPV in 6BR) at the range. Going to try 3 different bullets; I'll be shooting 3 rounds each of 6 different powder weights for the three bullets, total = 54 rounds (following 3 sighters/warmup shots).

So, would it be a good thing to clean the barrel during the process? If so, at what point? Or would it be better to avoid it? It seems to be a tossup/debatable as to whether the barrel would be too dirty near the end w/o cleaning, or if I cleaned say "halfway" through, would that skew the process somehow? (Of course, I'd shoot some more foulers after cleaning).

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

I would start with a clean barrel, fire maybe 10 -15 shots for fouling. Then begin load development. Take your time don't let your barrel get to hot and don't clean till after all the load work is finished. With some of my target rifles I don't clean till around 100 rounds. A fouled bore is a good thing. With one of my rifles I don't see the groups tighten up until 14 shots. Same loads, same rounds, same rests, it just doesn't like a clean barrel. But 14 shots later its shooting 1/4 moa, from around 2 moa. Every rifle is different just take notes on how yours preforms. I hope this helps, good luck.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderI don't clean my barrel during load work. Most Savages like dirty barrels anyways. Either way you do it just pick your best groups and shoot them again to verify.

My barrels are lucky to get cleaned after 3-400 rounds have gone through them. +1 on this. I don't clean it unless accuracy starts to fall off. I have noticied that factory barrels need to be cleaned more often than custom.

With a new BBl I wouldn't go 54 shots with out cleaning. I like to clean around 20 rounds while round counts are still under 100. I also like to start with a clean BBl if I am switching powders.

I always start with a clean ysBarrel. And also never fire more then 25 shots before cleaning. Anything more then 25 and the ysBarrel gets pretty fouled.

After cleaning I expect to have to shoot 1 fouling shot before starting again.

Also think 3 rounds of each isn't enough, what if you pull a shot? While shooting never let the ysBarrel get to hot to touch.

I also think 54 rounds is to many to shoot without cleaning. Rarely do I go beyond 25 before cleaning. If you shoot over a chrony you'll see why. The dirtier the ysBarrel gets the higher the velocity goes.

Crusader,
First-off, you should ALWAYS do what makes you the most comfortable.

That said,
Do you get the plunger out, and start plunging your toilet if there is no reason to??
If your car runs perfectly, and doesn't lack power, or burn oil; would you pull the heads and do a valve job?

Well, if accuracy IS NOT falling off; why do you think that you need to clean your bore??

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Originally Posted By: dmpowderI don't clean my barrel during load work. Most Savages like dirty barrels anyways. Either way you do it just pick your best groups and shoot them again to verify.

My barrels are lucky to get cleaned after 3-400 rounds have gone through them. +1 on this. I don't clean it unless accuracy starts to fall off. I have noticied that factory barrels need to be cleaned more often than custom.

I have a question for you. How do you know when the accuracy starts to go away / fall off when you are working up loads?

I can see how you could tell if you are shooting a known load but not while working up a load.

DAB

Last edited:
Dab,
At least with my post, the assumption is that you shoot enough that you know how your gun acts. At the least you have an idea of the number of rounds before things start to taper off.

I.E.: My 10FP, I see my 1,000 yard groups open-up after about 100 rounds. When zero is set at 200 yards for hunting, things don't get unacceptable (to me) until over 500 rounds.

Back