a good time at the old fox pen...

d2admin

Administrator
We took the hounds to the fox pen this weekend and all did well. My 22 week Walker pup ran with the big dogs until her short legs gave out! We had probably 8 good chases and a handful of shorter ones. My little jadg-walker cross was chasing all by herself and the other dogs didn't seem interested in the fun so I cut her off to see what was up. somehow a bob kitty got into the pen and she was giving it hell! I'm glad she didn't catch it, could've been an ugly sight...for her! The pen owner hadn't a clue that he was feeding a bobcat also. He said his Mt cur squirrel dog was acting screwy the other day and that explains why! All in all a good training session.
Tracker

Sounds like a good time! My dad's friend constructed a pen several years back where guys run their hounds.It is located in tunkhanock,pa. My dad still goes up even though we got out of raising foxhounds a couple years ago.Now we mostly stick to beagles.Alot more cottontails than fox around in my area anymore.As a matter of fact that is why they constructed the pen.It became difficult to even find a fox to get started.Grey fox have declined significantly in my area over the years.Bad case of distemper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Beagler,
Great, I didn't know there was more than one pen in PA. Does the owner let people come and run, or is it strictly private? There is a fox & coyote pen 5 hrs. away from me in southern Ohio and one in NY the same distance. I think the one in NY is strictly coyote.
Tracker
Last Chance Fox & Coyote Hounds

Unfortunately he only lets mainly guys he knows run their hounds.I can't recall the exact size of the enclosure.They put up a special fence so the fox can't dig underneath it.They stock mostly greys but there are several silver fox there as well.I'll talk to my dad and find out about other guys coming to the pen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry I forgot to ask you where is Conneaut Lake? I'm in lackawanna county.The fox pen is maybe 25minutes out of scranton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back