270 for bear ???

cpjws40

Im planning a black bear hunt in northwest Montana this spring. My first ever. The most powerful gun I own is a 270... is this enough gun for black bear ? If so what bullet would you recommend... Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Hi Joe, some might say that the 270 is a little light for bear, however we all know shot placement is where it's at. I wouldn't go buy another gun just for that one trip but it's a good excuse to increase your arsonal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you were going to get a new one for that purpose I would go with at least a 30 cal. I would say load the biggest bullet that shoots good in your rifle and go have some fun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CPJWS,

I use a .270 for bear hunting and have killed 9 or 10 black bears with it, mostly by spot and stalk. I have seen at least that many more killed by hunting partners using .270's. I have never felt underpowered using it. Even when shooting out to 250-300 yards. I have had excellent results using 150 grain Nosler Partitions. I did kill one last spring with a 130 grain Swift Scirocco at 254 yards and the bear simply rolled over dead. I prefer the 150 NP though. I do limit my maximum range to about 300 yards. I would spend the extra money and use a bullet built stout enough for the job.

Black bears in this part of the country, and where your going hunting don't get extremely large weight wise. Skull and length can be good but they don't get the big heavyweights in this country for the most part. 250-300 lbs is a dandy bear. Many will be in the 150-200lb range. So you don't need a cannon to cleanly kill one.

Like said above, you put the bullet in the right place and the .270 will do the job. Good luck on the hunt Joe!

Personnally I beleive the.270 is plenty of gun for 99.99% of black bears. Just place the shot in the boiler room and it won't run far. Fred

The .270 should work fine for a spot and stalk rifle on black bears. Bullet placement and bullet construction are the two most important factors for any weapon. I agree with the above fellow on the nosler partition 150 grain. The NP has the right combo of penetration and fragmentation. Other premium bullets should work. I would stear shy of light skinned bullets at higher velocity. Black bear havent got real thick skin but they do have thick bones. Make your first shot count or don't shoot til it can. Have a blast on your hunt! Glen

I think that the .270 will due just fine for bear. When I carry mine I limit my self to 200 yards and under though. If I want to streach it out to 300 I carry my 300 win mag. I'm not saying that the .270 wont do it, I just like more punch when the bullet hits at the farther ranges.

It's not fun going into the thick stuff after a wounded bear. Had to do that with a buddies bear 2 years ago. and he was a 400 pounder. That is when I realized that I really like the heavier bullets.

I have one bud that uses the 270 with 100gr bullets. I think that it's nuts. But he hunts all big game with it and dose quite well with it. He is a awesome shot, And I can't remember anything getting away. He will even do ELK with it.

Any ways good luck hunting. And get a big one with the .270.

CPJWS/Joe,

So it looks like we pretty much agree that your .270 with a good heavy bullet,put in the right place will do the trick on a black bear.

Let's hear a little about your upcoming hunt.

Are you going with a outfitter? If I remember right, in Montana you can't bait or use dogs for bears. So what type of hunting are you doing, spot and stalk?, calling?. How long are you going to be hunting?

Hate to sound so nosey, but it sounds like a fun trip, and maybe you'll get a chance at bagging your first bear. Good luck.

Lonny

The .270 is plenty with a good bullet if you do your part. You are far better armed than Lewis and Clark. I've seen black bears killed with .22, .22-250, 6mm Rem., .243, (besides bigger bores) and one with a tire iron, plus I killed a large one with an old Bear razorhead launched from a recurve. One observation: a high percentage of black bears I've seen hit have dropped at the shot, at least if they are standing rather than running, and even then sometimes they drop. That includes one that merely had the edge of his paw cut by a .270 bullet. That one dropped like a stone, then got up and ran. Be real sure of your first shot placement, and then don't neccessarily assume that he is mortally hit if he goes down at the shot. Black bears are relatively easy to kill IMO on the of "tenacity of life" scale, at least compared to grizzlies, goats or even coyotes, pound for pound. But you don't want to get into following a wounded one.

Lonny

Thanks for your input. I'm going to hunt up around "Libby" Montana. I had a friend hunt up there last year and he said he saw plenty of bear. He got a small 3' bear. His huntin buddy got a nearly 5' bear. We're not hiring a guide. It's just me and my 14 year old boy. If you have any tips I'm all ears...

Thanks again...

Not to change the subject or anything but will a 6mm be ok? We're talking 200 yards and closer.
If I can use a 6mm, please explain the best bullet to use as well as what grain of bullet to use.

Thank you

I am sure 6mm's have and can kill blackbear. Given a perfect situation,,,,
I have killed a few, would I hunt with a 6mm? not a chance.
I am sure many will disagree but I think bears require .270 power and bullet weight or more.
But as always placement is the key.
Good hunting
Carl

Joe,

Your trip sounds like a great way to spend some time with your son. I'm sure he will remember the bear hunt with his dad for the rest of his life.

I'm guessing you might be hunting behind gated roads glassing for bears in clearcuts and old burns? Make sure you both have bino's that you can look through for hours on end. A spotting scope is nice for checking out things at extreme range and helping you estimate bear size. There are lots of burned stumps that look like bears with the naked eye, so optics are a must have when spot and stalk hunting for bears.

Watch the edges of cover. Bears will come out of the timber and feed along the edges for awhile then duck back in the timber again. You have two ways to hunt, be patient and watch likely spots for several hours at a time, or cover lots of ground and hope you happen across a bear out feeding. You want to be able to glass large amounts of country to give you the best chance to see a bear. So get to the spots that give you a chance to glass large amounts of area. If you spot a bear but can't get it and didn't spook it, go back and watch the area again. They often times stay and will feed in the same vicinity for days on end. And you might get another chance to see it again. Good feeding areas will attract bears year after year. I'd get some maps of the area and get a game plan started on how you intend to hunt the area.

Bring a backpack with, food, water, raingear, and all the rest you might need so you can spend the entire day looking. Bears can be spotted anytime of the day. I never did see many right at first light though.

Spring bear hunting is a blast. You'll see elk, deer, and lots of other animals out putting on fat after winter. You might stumble across a shed antler or two. Its a great time to be out. Good luck to ya.

[will a 6mm be ok? We're talking 200 yards and closer.
If I can use a 6mm, please explain the best bullet to use as well as what grain of bullet to use.

AlphaDog, to a guy who has hunted black bears with a 6mm you pose a hard question to answer, especially since you've said you will be hunting with your 14 year old son. I know three or four guys I'd be comfortable with hunting black bears with a 6mm. They are hunters of long experience on many types of game including lots of bears, cool disciplined good shots whom I know will pass questionable shots and only take the sure thing with the 6mm. If one of you has the .270 and one the 6mm, you take the lighter rifle and give your son the .270 if he is comfortable shooting it. Otherwise, stay close and only let the young guy take a pretty close shot with the 6mm (preferably 50 yards or less) at a whole bear standing still, unless your 14 year old is a lot more mature than most of us are at that age.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend that you hunt bears with the 6mm. But that is what you have in your arsenal it sounds like so...

I'd suggest you keep all shots with the 6mm to under 100 yards, for you as well, and shoot from a rest so you can precisely place the bullet. Broadside through both lungs and he is yours, though it may take a few seconds and bears do not leave blood trails sometimes from smaller wounds. A 95 or 100 grain Nosler Partition should break or at least penetrate the shoulder into the vitals. The most thoroughly and instantly dead black bear I ever saw was a large bear shot at about 25 yards with a 6mm pushing a 95 grain Nosler partition. The hunter sat on the edge of a steep drop-off and shot the bear between the shoulder blades as it fed on a swampy flat below us, head down, facing away. The bullet entered the back of the withers and followed the inside of the spinal column the length of the neck into the brain and stopped in the skull. The bear dropped with a thud on the spot. Don't count on that kind of shot opportunity or lucky placement.

I've never seen a black bear charge a hunter after being hit or shot at but it could happen. (I have seen them run straight at a hunter, like one guy who thought he was being charged, but the bear was running from the echo of the shot on the far wall of trees, not aware the hunter was there and veered away once he saw the man.) I'd be much more concerned about following a wounded one than about being charged or attacked immediately upon the shot. Therefore the critical thing is not neccessarily to anchor him, as I'd prefer to do with a grizzly, but to insure that the first is fatal within half a minute or preferably much less.

A 100 grain Nosler partition is a good bullet in the 6mm.

More on 6mm and where to find a bear. Just for the record, if I was going out on purpose to hunt black bears, I would not take my 6mm. I'd take my 06. I wouldn't use the 6mm on black bear unless that was all I had. The various 6mm bears I've mentioned have mostly been a matter of using the tool at hand while living in a country loaded with bears.

There have been some good tips here on finding spring bear in the Libby area. I've never hunted there but have driven through a few times. Early in spring snow will have all the bears that are out of hibernation packed into the snow free valleys and lower slopes. On snow free slopes, look and listen for bears flipping rocks for bugs, quietly tearing at logs and stumps or peeling the bark from them. Check out boggy areas where skunk cabbage grows under cedar trees. If you can find hemlock, cedar and hawthorne growng close to each other, a bear is likely to be close and I don't know why. Check patches of luxurious green grass. On the switchbacks of skid trails and old logging roads is a good place for such grass patches. If they have dandelion, all the better. Bears love to eat dandelions. Sometime between the third week in May to the first week in June, suddenly every patch of grass and dandelion seems to sprout a bear. Good luck.

I killed a nice black bear, 271 lbs, this year with my .270. I was shooting the Nosler 150 partition and a max charge of H4831. I want to say 60 grains.

This is the same load the Jack O'Connor recommended for Elk and I have shot a few of those with it too. Works fine.

a pack of hounds and a cheap ole' raggady but single shot 12 gauge with a 3 inch slug has more than done the job for me!
Good luck!Hope you get a shot at one regardless of what your shooting!

270 Win will kill black bears, just make sure you use a good bullet.

Bullets like the 140 gr. Fail Safe, 150 gr. Partition Gold, 130 gr. X bullet, 140 gr. Swift A-Frame, and the 140 gr. Bear Claw will all do a good job.

I've used a 7mm Mag for all 12 of my bears, with 160-175 gr. bullets, tough bullets. A 270 is very close to a 7mm in terms of killing power.

--

A 6mm will kill a bear, but it is far from ideal. Make sure you use a good bullet, like a Nosler Partition, and wait for a broadside lung shot. Avoid the shoulder with such a small caliber. I prefer a 7mm Mag+ on bear, 300 Mag is better.

Back