need help coyote hunting

Deel

ok hers is the deal, i have been predatior hunting about 2 years. I started out useing hand call got a few foxes off that about 5 months ago I started useing electronc calls my first was a flextone mimic again it worked on fohavexes and crows. well i got a alpha dogg by primos again just fox crows i know we have coyotes i have seen them heard them have tracks and scat and you can smell them on my land where i ride atvs at. I just cant call them in i hunt day and night i use cammo sent controll from washing in dead down wind fild spray and deoderant by dead down wind what am i doing ......

Yea Deel, I am having about same luck in southern NC. I get the crows to diving & hawks to come in & the yard dogs to start. !! But no yotes !! Sooner or later a blind one will come by.

I can get the coyotes to answer me , several times and can here them come in closer but cant them to come in. I dont know what i am doing wrong. Got cammo face and hands and gun cammo too. shower in dead down wind , cloths wased in dead down wind and I use field spray. where I hunt I have a group of trees in each field. In one field I sit on a fence line and the road is to my back its about a 25 acer field. I have 8 Spots that I can Hunt all in about 5 miles radious. This year I have taken 3 fox 3 raccons and had a lot of swooping hawks and owls . I use a range of sounds from jack in destress , to wood pecker , fox in destress.
I play the sound about 1 to 2 mins and the wait 1 to 3 mins of not doing any thing. I dont get any thing that way when i paly it on going is when i get the fox.... I hunt at least 3 on times per week on weekends.

oh yeah and I also use the mojo critter some times along with the electric call. I start out with the call down low then turn it up my normal stand time is any where from 15 to 45 mins.

When they come closer they are probably stopping at the edge of their territory. Try to go back in the daytime and setup between where they started calling from and where they were when they stopped getting closer. You'll be more in the center of their turf and they will be more territorial. I wouldn't call a bunch, start with a soft distress then one series of female howl then go back to soft distress. You'll probably be in the woods or thick stuff so be ready. You won't get much warning that they are coming, they'll just be there all of the sudden.

it took me two years to get my first. this year i have concentrated on being sneakier getting into my spots and has paid off big. only one coyote killed this year so far but have seen 10 that i have not been able to get a good shot on. so stay sneaky and be sure to still keep the wind at your advantage. they can still smell you no matter how good you descent yourself.

Eastern US Coyote Hunting = Ration of Failure -vs- Success will make you Humble...

That is part of the game you must accept - that keeps the instant-gratification types out of the woods after their first few hunts (e.g. - my former coyote hunting partners ;))..

My latest chapter of HUMBLE SOUP served up by Wiley E:

Monday Morn - halfway through my 2 mile walk (getting exercise) to my planned set area, I came across some very recent tracks and pee droppinz.) hmmmm - marked the spot, that the coyote marked...

OLEYROADYOTETRACKS02-19-12.jpg

on the way out, I set up a trailcam, a dead tree rat, and scattered some frozen chicken scraps here & there within camera range - in a spot 15 yards away from where those tracks were laid (wanted to hide the cam away from the SGL road).
in a creek draw where previous day snow tracks revealed where the dog came from to cross the SGL road...

The next afternoon, ground snow was gone, and I was expecting to see some pics....when I noticed tree-rat was gone, and the leaf litter scattered about - varmint had to work at yanking tree-rat free from the tie down cord...

butt

lo & behold - my weak battery gave up the ghost (never think you will get 1 more night out of low battery

no prob - I enjoy talking about my failures as much as my very limited success stories (2yrs 11months - 3 Pa Coyotes)..

just keep getting back on that horse - the fact is that I enjoy taking the gun for a walk in Ma Nature (to get away from the bothersome 2 leggers) almost as much as pulling the trigger,

Go in without high expectations,,but have visions of success and solid gameplan,

no funny stuff - cause IMHO - you can't be a bigger wisearse than Wiley E - and they know it..

p.s.

you mentioned Crows - I hunt them every week, and on several occasions an excited crow/distress has brought a curious yote nearby,

since I'm focused on the sky with #6 high brass, I'm not keen focus looking for yotes, but about 1/3 the times out for crows I hear a yote bark (bust me) well out of shotgun range - when they know it's That guy again tryin to blast the black turds from the sky.
smile.gif

Best of luck to you..

You know I enjoying geting out of the house and just being in the fields and woods with my gun too. I mainly use a 22-250 so the crows have to land for me but I do the same thing. I went scouting again today. Took some pics of some scat. I wanted to make sure I was looking at the scat right It is coyote and I found some fox scat too. I put my trail cam where I found the scat at its at the junction of 2 trail all logging trails where I ride my side by side at. so maybe in a few days ill have a pic of a coyote that I can post....

ya i just enjoy getting out of the house too and add a GOOD hunting buddy to the mix is a great time. and if you get a coyote that one time makes up for the ten wasted trips before that one. we live in the east, although there are plenty of coyotes around, they are just simply not as hungry as they are out west. this warm weather has not helped the hunting this year, deer or coyote in my neck of the woods. i had one buddy, which i still invite him out everyonce in a while, that gripes if its too cold, doesnt want to spend alot of time hunting if we not seeing anythin. but my other now he is a trooper. if we not seeing anything we move or go to totally different spot and always look back and see what we could have done better and apply that to the next trip. it wouldnt be hunting if you just walked out your back door and shot something in ten minutes. the true reward is the friendships that are made and carried on. a kill is just makes it that much better

Most of the time i am by my self .... You know i like to medal detect to lol i have seen more coyotes doing that than hunting...... I get a treat tonight I get to take my wife out with me we takeing thie side by side were only trying for fox so we will prolly just hunt out the side by side.

[beeep] will freeze over before my wife will go hunting but it must be getting cooler there cuz she did say she wants to go dove hunting with me next time i go

Back