I thought coyotes were tough...on dogs

d2admin

Administrator
The only experience I ever had with a dog and calling is when this rancher's dog would follow me for miles behind my truck. He would try licking me all over my face when ever I called. EEEWWW Gross. He ran off a coyote I called in and he didn't even know the coyote was there.

I saw a few videos on hunting with dogs. I must admit my disappointment. I thought the coyotes would be more aggressive with dogs regardless of dog size. It seemed the coyotes were only playing around with the dogs and that the dogs were the aggressive ones. I figured they would at least fight every now and then. Couldn't a coyote kill a dog even if it is heavier? I always thought it was the size of the fight in the critter not the size of the critter that mattered.

I love coyotes and I have the utmost respect for them. I was hoping to see a coyote try to kill a dog. Man what a bunch of wimps! Can anyone help me earn back the little bit of respect I lost for the mighty coyote?????

Locohead.....Let me see if I can help you out here. I'll tell this true story and it should help restore your confidence in the coyote.

A few years ago I had a coon hound chained up outside. She was about 50 ft. from the house.It was in the winter and I don't remember which month. Well my little brother was over visiting. He was on his way out the door to leave; when all of sudden a noise broke loose. It took us by surprise and I knew it coyotes. The coyotes were after the dog. The only rifle I had handy was a .22 cal.. The rifle is sighted in at close range for coon hunting. Well when we got outside the door the coyotes spooked and were heading out to the field. Well that little pop gun never phased the coyotes. They were running back and forth like shooting gallery. I didn't have a chance at hitting them. After a few minutes of putting on this show they headed across the road and into the next section. There were 7 coyotes.

Well a week later I was on the computer. It was about 10:00 p.m..Everything was quiet when all of a sudden a noise broke loose and this time I knew they had the dog. So I ran out of the house grabbing nothing on my way out. There wasn't time to grab anything. I ran out to the fight going on and let me tell you that these were some exited coyotes. They backed off about 50ft from me. I was yelling at 7 coyotes and it didn't seem to bother them. They just continued to bark, howl and jump around. The one that stood in front of the others was a big coyote and must have been the leader. I think they were trying to show me who was boss. Well after that little show the leader ran toward me and past me, the rest followed. They ran through the yard, past my shop and out into the field. Talk about a bold group of coyotes!!!!

So Locohead, if I would have let this go they would have killed the dog.

I am glad you saved your dog!!!!! I guess they act like a gang kids; only tough around their buddies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif !!!!! Good Job!

Locohead quote: I was hoping to see a coyote try to kill a dog.

Hey, my wife and daughter have this irritating,yapping pekingnese that suffers from little mans disease. So I'm thinking....Locohead wants to see a coyote kill a dog....and I have a dog that deserves to have its ass kicked.

I think you may be on to something here!!

hheheheheehehehhehehhehehehehhhehheheehheeh

There's a few of those little annoying dogs everywhere. Best thing that could happen is for coyotes to develope an appetite for small barky dogs that have to have their own butts wiped. They nail the odd cat around here which is fine by me and I'm just waiting for the neighbourhood hugger to have his dog ripped.

Hi, Locohead. Long time no talk. I have a neighbor whose poodle was snatched by a coyote. He saw it happen and gave chase. The coyote ran with the poodle in its mouth until it got to a barbed wire fence which I guess it couldn`t get through with the dog in its mouth so he dropped him. The dog survived but needed numerous stitches. I guess it wouldn`t take a macho coyote to snatch a poodle though would it?
Last I talked to you your wife was about ready to a have a baby. How is the baby and wife doing? Ypu getting any sleep?

On a previous post I posted that I had a cur/bluetick pup that I was training for a coyote dog. I also stated that this dog lives for coyotes and that the coyotes themselves were the best trainers. This still holds true. He's had a few run ins with coyotes and seems to have no fear of them in his territory.

The first time I seen him get bit was one night when I got home from work. I saw the coyote standing in the yard so I looked toward the house (I was still in my truck) to see where the dog was. Well he was on it. He ran up to the coyote and they went around in circles. It was awsome.

Then a few nights later things got interesting. It was 3:30 in the morning when the dogs started barking and by the way the cur was barking I knew something important was happening. So I got up and looked out the window where the coyotes normally enter the yard but I didn't see anything. So I looked out the porch window to see a coyote not more than fifteen feet from the house. Being the nice guy that I am I opened the porch door and let the dogs out. The coyote ran back about 50 yards and stopped. The dogs were barking like crazy. I went inside and watched from the window. At first I thought about dropping that coyote where he stood, but then decided to wait and see what happens. Well one dog was standing by the driveway and the cur was standing by the corner of the deck barking like crazy. Now I don't if the cur was challenging the coyote or if there was another coyote close by. Whatever it was the coyote saw something that he didn't like. I have never seen a coyote move as fast as the one did. He was at top speed and running toward the dogs. I new then what was going to happen......so out the door I went just in time to see the coyote run past the first dog and nail the cur. The wife heard the fight clearly because it was just outside the bedroom window. She about freaked because of concern for the dog. The dog had a couple holes in his hide right behind the rib cage but other than that he was fine. There is just something about that cur the coyotes don't like.

Things are finally settling down, the coyotes don't seem to be coming down to the yard on nightly basis. The pups are out of their dens and I've been patient long enough. Now the coyotes days are numbered.

I love those last few stories. I love all of 'em in fact. I just havn't checked on this thread in a while. Haa haa haa. It was fun reading!!!

Back