Tally Ho ! ( better hurry !)

d2admin

Administrator
1016473521.2684813350.jpg

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/World/Animal_Rights/
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020318/ap_on_re_eu/britain_fox_hunting

Banning Hunting with Hounds is a HOT TOPIC in Great Britain RIGHT NOW...

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

Yes, they want to ban it. What it generally boils down to is a class conflict. It's generally the rich, upper class that hunts foxes there. The commoners are massing together to get it banned. So far it seems to be working.

(at least that's my take on it.)

Randy

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308
Hunting the Red Fox

Wasnt The Humane society started back around the 1870's in England by fox hunters concerned with the way horses were being treated? I thought I read that someplace.

This world is changing way to fast. I'll need a permit to pick a booger soon, let alone run my hounds.

Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!
NiteFright

3087802395.jpg

D-Day For Hunting In The Lords

The issue of hunting will go back before the House of Lords today (Tuesday March 19)after MPs once again voted overwhelmingly in favour of a complete ban. The Commons rejected any compromise on the issue - but their opinions are expected to count for little in the upper house.

MPs were voting for the third time on whether to outlaw the sport. Pro-hunting supporters staged a demonstration outside the Commons ahead of the debate.

The Government had denied it was negotiating a behind-the-scenes deal to save fox hunting from being banned.

'Middle way'

Prime Minister Tony Blair voted for an outright ban, though earlier his official spokesman indicated that the Government still hoped for a "consensus" on the way forward.

But the Lords, voting, are likely to opt for the "middle way" - allowing fox hunting to continue under Government regulation.

Rural affairs minister Alun Michael said the votes were an important step towards fulfilling a manifesto promise to allow Parliament to reach a conclusion on the controversial issue.

'Resolved'

He told the House of Commons: "The question of hunting is very firmly on this House's agenda. It's extremely contentious and it needs to be resolved."

He said the Government would make clear how it intended to proceed shortly. "All points made in the debate in both Houses will be listened to and considered. Once the votes have taken place ... I intend to make a statement on the way forward before the Easter recess".

3087843357.jpg

Randy's right--it's a class struggle. The ban has nothing to do with horses,hounds or foxes. Got any idea what it costs to board a horse in England?

It's not so much a case of rich against poor, its more a case of Members of Parliament with large urban majorities against the country people who just want to be left to carry on as they have for generations. It is pretty well accepted that this emotive issue has only been dragged up again by the Government to try and divert attention away from an embarrassing fiasco involving one of its ministers.

It is expensive to follow the hounds on horse back which is why as many if not more people follow on foot or from their cars. Once you get out of the Home Counties and start heading north or west the hunting generally becomes more about killing foxes than about social etiquette and is much more a working mans sport. Apparently more people follow the hunt on a Saturday than watch football.

This Bill not only targets fox hunts but all hunting of mammals with dogs, so the terrier men, coursers, mink hunters, beaglers and the lurcher boys are all targets.

It looks very much like the bill will succeed, if only in part. The best we can realistically hope for is the proposed "Middle Way", a compromise that will allow hunting to continue pretty much as it is now but under licence.

Pete

------------------
uk-flag1.gif

I know I am gonna catch all kinds of hell for this, but what good is the first amendment if I dont air my piece.

I have never considered what the houndsmen do accross the pond to be "hunting" in the remotest sense. I see it as wanton carnage.

I have observed this on TV, and I dont see a stalk, I dont see appreciation of the outdoors, I dont see the "hunters" trying to match wits with an animal that is probably one of the smartest and most cunning critters out there.

I guess if I had to draw an analogy, it would be similar to some drunken fool in rural Nebraska "deer hunting" by driving around at night in his Chevy trying to bash one with his bumper.

Now to be clear, I dont mind hunting with dogs as an aid (I have a genuine Airedale/bloodhound/Walker mix for just that purpose), or from horseback, if need be.
But I have a HUGE problem with those that would charge the wilderness A LA Shermans march to the sea.

I will get off my soapbox now.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy

Roebuck / Pete

THANK YOU ! I was hoping someone from your region would add to the conversation, and give us the non-media view/presentation !

Lords defy Commons over hunting ban
By Mike Peacock

LONDON (Reuters) - Peers in the House of Lords have rejected the overwhelming demand from elected politicians to ban fox hunting with hounds, voting instead for a compromise licensing option.

MPs in the House of Commons, including Prime Minister Tony Blair, voted by 386 to 175 to ban fox hunting, but that cut no ice with the unelected second chamber.

The Lords on Tuesday opted by 366 votes to 59 for a "middle way" of licensed hunts which would pose serious curbs on the ancient countryside pursuit but allow it to continue.

A full ban was rejected by a landslide 331 votes to 74, putting the Lords in direct confrontation with the House of Commons.

Rural Affairs minister Alun Michael will return to parliament on Thursday to discuss the government's next step over the controversial pastime.

Speculation is rife that it will essentially follow the House of Lords' lead and that Blair voted for a ban to cover himself when the government eventually opts for a compromise.

Blair has promised to deal with the ancient countryside custom since he took power in 1997. But three previous attempts to ban it fell by the wayside as the government was stung by the strength of rural anger.

The issue is a divisive one with country folk fighting to maintain the hunt and opponents baying for it to be outlawed, as it was in Scotland last month. Opponents, notably in Blair's Labour Party, say it is barbaric and anathema to modern society.

The House of Lords has the power to delay legislation but not block it forever. But it could delay a full ban for up to two years before the government forced legislation through and delay other bills becoming law in the process.

"It is now four times since 1997 that the Commons has been asked for its view," Liberal Democrat peer Lord McNally told the upper chamber. "It is the clear and settled view of the Commons and it cannot be thwarted by this unelected House."

The vast majority of his colleagues disagreed.

Fox hunting has been practised in Britain for more than 300 years. Red-coated hunters and their supporters argue a ban would infringe their civil rights, that they provide a service to farmers who regard the fox as vermin and maintain thousands of rural jobs.

Tackdriver, if it was on the T.V. then that must be the way it is
rolleyes.gif

What exactly did you see?

I have to say that hunting with hounds is not my main sporting interest. I do however have quite close ties with the local pack of hounds as well as two packs of beagles and will follow them when they are local.

As I said, I am no expert but I will try to answer any questions you may have on this subject. You may not like the way foxes are hunted in this country but at least you will have something other than the T.V. to base your opinions on.

Pete

------------------
uk-flag1.gif

Tack, it's not quite like that. They don't turn the dogs loose to "charge thru the woods, driving all manner of game before them, with gunmen at the ready to slaughter and complete the carnage as the animals are driven out the other side into the open.

Actually, it's more like the dogs are loosed at the fox and pursue it until it's brought to bay. The huntsmen only try to keep up with the hounds. The dogs are the real hunters in this sport. Think of coon hunting in the daytime, from horseback.

Hi What Is This World Comeing To Thats Not Good At All They Have Been Running Hounds On Fox For ever Over There. If Thats The Case The USA Better
Smarting Up And Us Hunter Better Stick To Gether.This World Is Going To Hell To Fast.Good
Luck And Keep On Running Them Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Amen Steven - I say, give them an inch and they will surely take a mile. They guage their "struggle" in small victories. A small victory on banning fox hunting with dogs and horses in GB only adds a little more snow to the snowball they are trying to roll. Many western lion hunters use horses to cut for tracks and dogs to run the lions. So what stops them from making the same comparisons here? Nothing. After that will come pheasant hunting with pointers. Soon after, using a gun will not be considered "fair chase". We will soon be reduced to chasing them down on foot and using fingernails to claw them to death.

Back