bloody lion tracks

d2admin

Administrator
Found some lion tracks in the snow today. I followed them all over, found old tracks, new tracks and newer tracks. The freshest had blood in almost every track. I don't think that its paws were wounded, unless it was both front, because the tracks looked good and were sharp. I had to guess that it had gotten wounded in the face attacking an elk or a horse. I followed the bloody footprints for about 250 yds before I lost them on frozen snowless ground. Any ideas other than those that I threw out for why there would be blood in the tracks?

I am going to get back out there asap to try and get me a cougar. Was hoping to do it with this years tag, but I don't have anymore hunting time before next year.

------------------
Matt/Spinner

I think he's a messy eater. Probably been digging liver and various organs out of a chest cavity. By evening he probably had it all licked off...you know cats.

Good hunting. LB

I think Leonard nailed it. All those track coming and going, and fresh bloody tracks meant you were in the immediate vicinity of a kill. You passed up a perfect opportunity. Should have found a good spot, sat down, and went to work with a call. You did have one in your pocket, didn’t you?

Of course I had a call in my mouth, I mean pocket. Actually I tried two separate stands about 1000 yds apart both in the vacinity of the tracks. Looked darn hard for but could not find a kill. I think he is just sneaker than I am skillful.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Matt/Spinner

Yeah, it was probubly a messy eater,I have a cat and whenever it kills anything big it tracks blood on the carpet and floor.

Back