Question for Mike Gappa

BobR

Mike, At one time I had a chart for estimating a bear's weight. You needed two measurements to use the chart. (1)lenght from nose to base of tail (2) girth just begind front shoulder.
With these measurements and the chart, one could calculate bear weight, and it was supposed to be accurate to within 20 pounds.
If I remember correctly, the chart was formulated by a biologist from PA, and he used the data from weighing more than 2,000 bears. Do you know where I could find this information? Thanks, Bob

Bob,

I don't mean to impose here because I know you are directing your question for Mike but, there is a book titled "A Shadow in the Forest" It is a study of black bears done in different parts of Idaho by John J. Beecham and Jeff Rohlman. After weighing hundreds of black bears in Idaho they found using a neck circumference measurement was the best predictor of its body weight. It would usually put them within 30 lbs. They have a chart in the book showing the neck circumference and then likely weight of the bear.

During the studies they did the book tells of the biologists having contests to see who could come closest to judging the weights of bears that they live trapped. On many occasions after weighing hundreds of bears they could still misjudge the bears weight by 30-50 lbs and they where standing 15 feet away and could take a good long look. I guess that kind of explains why it is so hard to judge a bears weight.

I know this isn't what you are asking but the book has some interesting reading about the biological lives of black bears. Take care.

------------------

Girth measurements behind front shoulder
29 inches 100lbs
38 inches 200lbs
45 inches 300lbs
51 inches 400lbs
56 inches 500lbs
I found this chart in some hunting magazine and cut it out nothing about the length measurement.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Lonny, Thanks for the interesting reply. I will have to get that book, sounds interesting. You do not live too far from me.

Rob, The chart you posted looks very similar to the one I had. My son killed a bear two years ago that had a 54" girth and we calculated the weight at 450 using the chart I had. But it was in a book and I loaned it to someone. I can't remember the name of the book or who borrowed it. Thanks.
Bob

Bob,

I seem to remember reading about a biologist by the name of Gary Alt who did a bunch of black bear studies in Pennsylvania. I don't know if he wrote a book on the subject or not though. I bet Mike would know if this is the guy who made up the chart you are talking about. I don't know if this helps you or not. Sounds like your son got himself a real dandy bear. Take care and good talking to you.

------------------

Hi Bob, sorry to butt in. My mail is down again so I couldn't reply to your mail today. I will e-mail you as soon as I figure out what is wrong.

Take it easy, Curt

Back