Who has a Stag model 3?

Yoteless in Ohio

Alright, everyone has been a great help. I ask a little more patience....

I ran across a Stag arms model three in my Search for a hunting AR. I of course know as little about them as the others.

The price point is right for me. But wanting some reviews like I got for the others.

It feels the best in my hands, it is light, quick and solid. It is more visually appealing to me than the others. The handguard that is ribbed for her pleasure on most models is a nice solid one piece on this with places to add rails. The only drawback I see is the barrel is not free floated.

I am getting this rifle to hunt with. I will sight it in and then send maybe 20 rounds a year through it.

I seriously doubt I will be shooting more than 200 yards with it in the field.

How have they functioned and grouped for those that have them?

It is looks like a dpms oracle or stag 3 for me, unless I decide to build my own. I hope to find someone who actually has the oracle on hand to look at.

What should I expect to pay for the stag 3?

Last edited:
I have priced out all the options, and I am buying a Stag Model 3. I like the looks and feel of them and they are simply priced right too. If Stag is good enough for some of our Police Departments, then it ought to work fine for me as a calling/defense gun. Just my 2 cts. Rich

Ifi am correct, the barrel is not free floated on this gun. If I choose to, can I free float it somehow in the future?

What will be the least expensive trigger upgrade for an at if it is as bad as most ARs tend to be?

I have one and so far it is great! Don't think putting a free float hangaurd will make much difference at the max distance you stated. I have bought 3 short rails for mine so far. The Diamondhead stuff is nice.

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerI have one and so far it is great! Don't think putting a free float hangaurd will make much difference at the max distance you stated. I have bought 3 short rails for mine so far. The Diamondhead stuff is nice.

Hopefully not, but is it an option?

Yes, you can put a free float tube on it. As stated it probably will do more for looks than accuracy. I have one in the left-hand model. It's fit, finish, and function is fine. I replaced the trigger with a Timney 3lb, and that makes a lot of difference. I have good success with bullet weights up through 69g, but usually shoot 50 or 60 vmax which will both hold sub moa at about .8 on ave. I use it as my calling rifle and it is plenty good out to 200. I also installed a Levang linear compensator in place of the standard one which helps get the noise downrange.

Last edited:
I had a model 3 Stag for couple of years. It was a great calling rifle. Short and quick. I put a set of 3lb. springs in the trigger and had a trigger job done. It shot real good, better than I can shoot. I shoot a lot of 223's and I got tired of trying to get Sweets out of the compensator so I replaced it with "Tread Protector" from Brownells. Made cleaning easier. At times, I wish I had it back. My RRA Pred. Pursuit is a lot heavier.

Back