Shotguns for bears

I don't know how big you are Big Dan, but If your a call'n bear I would do it from a tree. I'm not sure if your calling blackies or browns either. I also would use a slug, and I wouldn't take a shot at more then 30 yards. The two reasons for this, is that you want to try to take it down, or slow it down with the first shot. Second reason being if the first doesn't get him you will have an oppertunity for a second. THERE'S NOTHING MORE HAIR RAISING THEN ENTERING THICK BRUSH FOR A WOUNDED BEAR!!!!!

If your ground blinding it have a back up with a large rifle.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS DON'T GO HUNTING FOR BEAR ALONE. TAKE A BUDDY.

Good bear hunting,
Alaskan Yoter

I will also sencond the use of the Brenneke slugs. I would also go with a shorter barreled shotgun. That way you can swing it better in thicker vegitation.

Like Alaskan Yoter said, there is nothing like walking into a thicket looking for a wounded bear. Pucker Time

I,d use a Remington 870 Magnum Express with 20" rifled barrel.

Load it with brenneke or Lighfield 600gr sabbots.

This is what I use when hunting Black Bears.

Dont wear your gun shoulderd when in the woods, carry it in your hand or use one of those belt holders where you can rest your stock. It takes og a lot of weight and keeps your gun ready.

Take care and shot safe.

swede

Brenneke slug would be my choice when hunting from a stand. In Wi., when going into a bayed bear on the ground, it's not unusall for hunters to go in with "00" buckshot.
Of course you shouldn't have this concern as you wouldn't be hunting with dogs.
Good luck

Back