Washington????????

Tackdriver

Hello,
Ok, fellow board members here is the deal. I am feeling significant pressure to move to Washington State by my loved ones and my hunting partner. They are going to move and want me to move too. This would happen after December, at the soonest, probably more like the early spirngtime of 2002.
From a hunting persepective, I was wondering if I would actually be better off in Washington? I have lived all but 3 months of my life in Nebraska. These people I know go on and on about what a good time I would have up there, I must admit that they have some animals that I am interested in putting on the wall, (lion/bear) and they are close to Canada and Alaska, to boot.
But I am wondering how much of this will be acutally accessable to me, as an outsider. Has anybody ever moved to a completely different state and had decent luck establishing themselves in a new area, and finding good locales or places to hunt?

I am not the type of hunter that can afford what some of the Washington guides feel is a good price. Also I am not the type of hunter that has to score a Boone and Crockett to feel I got a decent animal.

------------------
Safety,

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Despite being the smallest of the 11 western states,Washington has the second highest human population and a rate of growth that places it in the top five nationally. Wasington also has one of the largest black bear populations in the lower 48 states(approximately 30,000), and current indications are that it's growing.Significant federal and private industrial ownership of the majority of black bear habitat in Washington would suggest that a large percentage of this habitat is relatively secure(about 75% of black bear range),thus bear populations should continue to prosper.
Washington harvests about 1,400 bears a year.This is done without the use of dogs or bait.Washington lost those opportunities in 1996.
Hope this helps you out .
Originally posted by Tackdriver:
Hello,
Ok, fellow board members here is the deal. I am feeling significant pressure to move to Washington State by my loved ones and my hunting partner. They are going to move and want me to move too. This would happen after December, at the soonest, probably more like the early spirngtime of 2002.
From a hunting persepective, I was wondering if I would actually be better off in Washington? I have lived all but 3 months of my life in Nebraska. These people I know go on and on about what a good time I would have up there, I must admit that they have some animals that I am interested in putting on the wall, (lion/bear) and they are close to Canada and Alaska, to boot.
But I am wondering how much of this will be acutally accessable to me, as an outsider. Has anybody ever moved to a completely different state and had decent luck establishing themselves in a new area, and finding good locales or places to hunt?

I am not the type of hunter that can afford what some of the Washington guides feel is a good price. Also I am not the type of hunter that has to score a Boone and Crockett to feel I got a decent animal.

Tackdriver , You move on up here . Ill show you some of the best coyote country in the state . hell i can go 5 minutes from my house and call coyotes . the east side of the state is crawlin with them . I know you have seen my posts for a couple if years now . As for the Bear, deer, elk, and upland birds , we have plenty . Quite a few cats on the other side I.E. The coast . I wouldnt live over there as it rains way to much for me . there are also alot of cougar up in the northern part of the state . they are really becoming a problem . way to many since they outlawed the use of dogs . they passed a no trapping ban in the state last year , and its gonna get real busy with the control of perdators . Its not hard to get permission from local ranchers over here . I just tell them that if they want me to call the areas for them , they have to keep other callers out . Most agree. Well i hope this helped . later Jerry .

Hello,
Well Jerry, that is good news. You have probably seen my posts here and on other boards, and you probably know that I am very interested in harvesting a Bear or a Cat. And the opportunity to live in a state where the success or failure did not depend on the luck of a once-yearly trip is a very big attraction. I am glad the populations are fine.

One other thing. Is Washington far enough north to have wolves? If so, are they huntable or protected? I saw a hunt on Cabelas for wolves, but it was in the "Norhtwest Territories", just thought I would ask.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Hello,
Never mind, I just checked and grey wolves are protected in Washington. Is that the only kind of wolf they have?

------------------

Back