Need shotgun for the "wife"

AzDiamondHeat

Ok guys and GALS, PLEASE help!!

My soon to be wife WANTS to hunt WITH me....

Problem is she is very small. 5' 2" and will fall over in a stiff wind. She wants a shotgun. We looked at some of the Jr. models at the local BassPro.

Any recommendations, Pros and Cons you can give me would be much appreciated.

I really want her to enjoy this...

Well, price isn't so much the issue as the right gun FOR the price. She KNOWS how much I have spent on mine...

We TRIED the pumps, she didn't much care for them. Too much work and can't quite get the timing.

She liked the Remington Jr 1187 semi. She liked the Weather by Jr semi better(no REALLY, she DID!).

Any other recommendations for a semi? Lightweight or Youth?

I would spend a little more and get her a REM 1100 or 11-87 in 20 ga. The recoil is nearly nothing. IMO, you might even find yourself grabbing it on occasion.

I'd take her to a gun shop that sells a variety semi autos like Remmy, Beretta, Browning, and see what fits her when she shoulders it. Or even go to a gun show if there's one in your area. That might be one of the most fun shopping trips you're ever going to have together. I'd probably stay with a 20 ga. Even with an autoloader, I'd be sure there was a good recoil pad on it like a Limbsaver.

Last edited:
second on take her to the gun shop and fit one to her. you are lucky that she wants to be out there with you and you want her to be as comfortable as possible! also if she picks her own gun.... she'll be that much more into it!!!

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeat
Well, price isn't so much the issue as the right gun FOR the price. She KNOWS how much I have spent on mine...

We TRIED the pumps, she didn't much care for them. Too much work and can't quite get the timing.

She liked the Remington Jr 1187 semi. She liked the Weather by Jr semi better(no REALLY, she DID!).

Any other recommendations for a semi? Lightweight or Youth? fit/feel is important. gettting a 20 ga AUTO is very important. they kick a lot less. get the 20 ga. auto she likes. you are a lucky man. start with light loads. a little coaching. i have killed a lot of coyotes (100+) with 20 ga buckshot.

I bought my wife (about the same size as yours) a Browning gold in 3" 20 ga. about 15 years ago. She loves it, light weight, minimal recoil, fast handling and dependable. When she doesn't go with me, I leave my Red Label 20ga. home and take hers for grouse.
blushing.gif

Aaron

Sorry guys. I FAILED.

After all the great advice you gave me, this is what she ended up with...

IMG-20120206-00042.jpg

But LOOK at the smile....

Benelli Montefeltro

Sad thing is, she has NO idea what she got....

Someday she will appreciate it. I hope.

Back