Got Sage Rats ?

Tim Neitzke

Hey everyone,
I'm thinking about going out Oregon to see Tim (tt35) and check out his guided sage rat operation. Would be great to met a few PMer's for some shooting good times.

Anybody that might have intrest please post here .

Thanks
Tim

Got whistlepigs (sage rats) galore right here in the county that I live in. Have gone out at 1pm after ducking out of work early with 700 rounds of American Eagle .22 ammo and left at 5pm with no ammo left. Stood in one spot and shot over my little Toyota truck. Had I had someone loading magazines for me the shooting would have been even more furious. Shot the radio antenna twice that day as I could not see it in my cross hairs. Doh!

Starting this time next month I plan on giving my 10/22, my .17 HMR and any number of centerfire varmint rifles a really fine workout. Take a $5 footlong Subway sammich, coffee, some sodywater and a bushel basket full of ammo out with me every day. Hey- tough job but someone has to do it!
thumbup1.gif

Let me know if your route takes you in a southerly way from east to west. Probably could locate some self erecting targets enroute.

The sagerats are already coming out this year. Looks like it's going to be a crazy year. We were overrun with them last year and this winter has been really mild so the population should be even higher! Here are a couple of pics to get your trigger finger itching...

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7702.jpg

We've got a few rockchucks as well.

These are rockchucks.
2010Varmints066.jpg

This is a rockchuck on A-maxes!
charlesjr-1.jpg

Here's a link to the NOS Guided Hunts webpage for some more info.

http://www.no-off-season.com/guided-hunts.html

I told Tim that No Off Season would do a group rate for a Predator Masters Hunt and give PM members $25.00 a day off the normal rate. Let Tim Neitzke know if you're interested.

We'll do that for a one-event hunt for whoever can get together on this outing. You will definitely get your trigger finger in shape on this hunt. I still have some great slots open on the calendar but next week is the Pacific NW Sportsman's Show and I expect to fill the calendar pretty quickly there. If a few of you guys get together and split the car rental, you could do this pretty reasonable.

One more picture to give you a feel for "air time" and sagerats...

Teaching Skippy to fly. Click on the picture to watch the video.

They really are quick learners!
wink.gif

As to times, April and May are both good months. I like April for predominantly centerfire shooting and May for mostly rimfires but both months are good. The best time for sagerat shooting is whenever you can go.
smile.gif

* Thanks for the info Tim.
* Rustydust, that sounds like mega fun !
* skb2706, I'd love to shoot my way westward, but I plan on flying due to the distance and time. Thanks for the offer.
thumbup1.gif

*Rob got your PM.
grin.gif

Sage rats are no fun to shoot. With a 223 or 204 ruger they blow up on impact and only provide a milisecond of entertanment. It is not worth it to spend that much money on gas to get to Oregon. Beside that Oregon is filled with liberals in the western part of the state. Stay home and watch some hunting shows on the outdoor channel.

Back