Big Woods WMA

NO, but I was planning on going squirrel hunting there on Saturday with my 5 yr old nephew. I will keep my eyes open for scat and other signs of predators. I didn't think I would have much luck trying to call predators with a 5 yr old

Well, we walked around, ALOT. The only real sign of squirrel that I saw was a couple dig holes. Never saw a single squirrel. [beeep], the only thing that I saw that I could of shot was a crow. There are a lot of pine trees and alot of thick under growth. I did see one pile of coyote scat. It was on the road between the WMA and the wildlife preserve. It was right there on the edge of the parking area. I also only saw a handful of deer tracks and one single turkey track. Not overly impressed by the land for predator hunting because I feel like they could really sneak up on you with all the pine needles blanketing the ground and lack of visiblity at the ground level.

Aw man I wish you had better luck today, but you gave me a lot of helpful information! I had a couple buddies that went to the Chick WMA today and they reported the same. No animals. So I've come to the solution that I need some private land to hunt. Lame....I wish I could go back to Colorado where I had millions of places to hunt public land.

That does make me feel good about them not seeing anuthing at Chick. The whole time I was thinking "[beeep], should have gone to the chick." yeah, I am always looking for private land. I had a nice piece in Danville until the evil Aunt decided she wanted her own land and split it up. Have to love family.

Have you tried any of the national forest land to hunt? It looks to me like everything is pretty thick and wouldn't be any good for coyote hunting, plus it's like 3 hours from Hampton.

Back