NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Thanks for the pattern tests!! Its a wonder I hit my coyote at 65+ considering that shot hits high at 50 I have done more tests since I got drilled about it, and got my panties in a wad and my tests proved that you can deliver a fatal blow at 70 yards! Once again how do I post pics on here?

Originally Posted By: zlaj3737Thanks for the pattern tests!! Its a wonder I hit my coyote at 65+ considering that shot hits high at 50 I have done more tests since I got drilled about it, and got my panties in a wad and my tests proved that you can deliver a fatal blow at 70 yards! Once again how do I post pics on here?

I use tinypic.com , you just upload the picture and copy the web address in the desired format (the one with the [IMG at the front and back)and put it in your post.
Its free and no membership/sign in is required.

It was so windy today that my makeshift target stand blew over three times. The Beretta is still shooting well though.
DSCF12921.jpg

Rich, that is a great pattern.

I watched my buddy pattern his 870 today while I was working on my 257. He just bought a new patternmaster choke and was dying to try it out. I have harped the benefits of patterning to him for some time. Today was an eye opening experience for him.

We set up at target at the 50yds and went to work , he was shooting it from the bench
smile.gif
. His first shot with the new choke was Remington #4 Buck, its pattern was acceptable and centered on the target. His second shot was 3 1/2" Dead Coyote and that's where reality (and a little cheek pain)set in. It patterned 15-18" low, it patterned good enough to hunt with but not what he was expecting.I gave him a Fed. Premium 00 buck to try and it was an awesome pattern, about 24" in diameter. Next I gave him a 3" Dead Coyote load. It patterned low just like the 3.5", but the pattern was so much better. It gave a even, thick pattern that showed lots of promise. Next time I will have him pattern the 3" at 60yds to see how it holds up.

Lessons my friend learned:

1. Point of impact can vary between loads.
2. Bigger isn't always better, in shotgun shells anyway.
3. Let me take pictures of the tagrets before he leaves
smile.gif

JBD,

It is an interesting and often head scratching ordeal, that shotgun patterning. Your friend's shotgun patterns LOW with Hevi-shot "T's", while mine shoots em high and left. I do believe that the T's will give me a ten yard advantage on sure kill coyote range, but what do I do with all of these lead loads after I set my red dot to center the Dead Coyote fodder? Choices, choices.
rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna buy a choke for my 870 this week, but I'm really eerie on what to pick. I'm gonna use Hevi-Shot #T in a 3" mag. But I can only spend like $50 on a choke... not sure what the best constriction is for an 870 super mag barrel is? Help?

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterI'm gonna buy a choke for my 870 this week, but I'm really eerie on what to pick. I'm gonna use Hevi-Shot #T in a 3" mag. But I can only spend like $50 on a choke... not sure what the best constriction is for an 870 super mag barrel is? Help?

Primos Jellyhead would be my pick for that amount of money. But the problem with a package choke is if it doesn't work out you're out of luck - period. Buy a true custom choke and if it doesn't work out then very often the maker will exchange it for another constriction to suit you.

I ordered a new Kicks Howler H (for T shot) choke a few weeks ago but it was on backorder. Just got it yesterday. It measures 0.700". Hmm I thought it would be closer to 0.680"... It's ok but it's not producing the tight groups I am looking for.

Here's some patterns with my Remington 870.

40 yards, 3" Dead Coyote T shot, Kicks Howler H
5f8cccc0.jpg

Another, 40 yards, 3" Dead Coyote T shot, Kicks Howler H
b3a9420a.jpg

50 yards, 3" Dead Coyote T shot, Kicks Howler H
eda8ac98.jpg

40 yards, 3" Federal #4 Buck, Kicks Howler H. Shoots slightly high.
fb701d6d.jpg

Both Kick's and Indian Creek make their predator chokes too large in diameter, they need to be a tad tighter.

I don't know, but the 0.665" Carlson's DC choke seems to throw better patterns than the 0.700" Kicks Howler from my 870. Pattern size is about the same but the pellets are more evenly distributed with the Carlson's DC.

Fed 3" BB patterns sucked with the Kicks. Zero hits on a paper plate at 40 yards.

Back