Vortex Crossfire vs Nikon Rimfire

rugerider

I am on the search for a scope for my soon to be purchased Savage .17HMR. Before anyone asks why I'm buying a .17 it's because I appreciate its ability to blow up if my target is missed and I hit a branch or something...plus I love rimfires. I don't boast on taking 200+ yard shots or anything like that.

I really like Nikon's Prostaff line and had a 2x7x32 on my last .17 that was stolen. The longest shot I took with it was a 65+ yard head shot on a squirrel. It was a little difficult to see it I must admit. On this new gun I am getting it will either get a Nikon rimfire 3x9x40 or a Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire (from a non-sponser :O) at 100 bucks. It's on a 70 percent discount right now. I know the Vortex is a bit overkill but it would be nice to zoom in a little bit more than 9 power if necessary.

My question is; Does Vortex glass compare to Nikon's?

The vortex stuff I have or have had has been great, If there ever is a issue with it plan on it being fixed or replaced quickly. Cant say the same thing for Nikon I dont think.

I have the vortex 6-24 on my 22/250. Very good glass for the money. It's not as good as my Leupolds but better than the Burris Fullfield I have.

I have that Crossfire on one of my 22's that I use to do casual target shooting only . For a 100.00 bucks it serves that purpose well . Its clear till the last 2 settings then a little haze effect . Its a physically large scope , small field of view , and the eye relief is short and sensitive . Its not a scope I would take hunting on a rimfire if you hunt woods . The new Prostaffs are nice scopes for the price and better glass . The Mueller APV is a good rimfire choice . 4.5 x 14 x 40 with AO .I really like mine for an all round rimfire scope and the glass is clear .

I am one of the biggest fans of Vortex products but the Crossfire is not one of them. Comparing the Crossfire to the Prostaff is not apples to apples. The Prostaff is a more expensive scope and is a bit better quality. The Vortex warranty is of course far better than the Nikon but that is it on these two. Look for a Viper rimfire. They are discontinued but can still be found for close to the same money as the Prostaff. The Viper is the better scope for sure and again the warranty is far better.

I have both, and both are descent glass for the the money. But I prefer the prostaff over the crossfire.

Casey

Ruger 77/17 17 HMR Range & Field

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well went to range yesterday wind was very light. My Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR with 3x9 40mm Burris FF E1 scope shot 50 yds 5 shot groups .98 .371 .767 average .707 at 50 yds at 100 yds .937 .976 .985 all groups shot with Hornady 17gr V-MAX. Some things I saw in my groups was some groups were horrizonal and another vertical just like a line holes and on some that one flyer that would open up groups don't know if it was me or rifle or to much Coffee. I also notice bolt lift was harder on some shots than others all most like a hot load. I am going to try other loads & brands or lots just to see what happens Field report on Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR great rifle worked flawless & the clips are great. Thoughts on .17 HMR out to 100yds on Praire Dogs worked great' at 150yds kills just worked fine dogs fell over and kicked a few times' beyond 150yds to 200 you could hit them and knock them over and they would kick a few times run & into there holes to die. So for me 150yds is realy the limit for the 17 HMR but was my first trip with the 17 HMR. The Burris FF E1 3x9 40mm worked great and reticle worked perfect nice size not to course & balistic plex was great useing the wind marks for hold off. only thing I would change on scope would be power ring outside diameter should be reduced my rifle Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ bolt can just kiss on max bolt lift and rifle came with high rings I would also change caps on windage & elevation knobs make them more slim. I think Burris is trying to make them look like target turrets. Overall impressions I was going to buy Remington 547 17 HMR but the deal on gunbroker.com fell through & I ended up with the Ruger 77/17 17 HMR no regrets a great rifle would buy again Burris scope is great buy at $ 200.00 Good Hunting

vortex has as good of a warranty as anything out there. That said no hundred dollar scope is going to be awesome but for a hundred bucks it will work. With a 17 trajectory is less of a concern than it is with a 22 or a 22 mag but true precision at longer useable distances would merit target knobs to dial in correction or a balistic reticle for hold over. There are some fixed power Leupolds out there with target knobs that are a nice choice and the FX3 6x42 Competition Target has adjustable parallax a nice feature for a rimfire as most hunting scopes have parallax set about 100 yds. Other than those Super Sniper fixed power scopes the old style $299. ones will get an upgrade to Mil Mil with the new Mil Quad reticle available late spring. Often you can find some used Nikon Monarch scopes as well that are a very good value. Pride Fowler makes a balistic reticle for a 17 Hmr and BSA (yuck) makes a "Sweet 17 that has a balistic turret set for a 17 hmr so you do have some good choices to consider.

Back