Time for some of the stories you don't like to tell....

ryank

OK guys, lets hear about some of your bird stories that you usually leave out of the campfire story telling.....

Just to make it fair I will get the ball rolling....

1996 Opening day for Ruffed Grouse:

I was hunting with my younger brother that day, we hadn't gotten 100 yards into the woods and my dog started getting birdie. "Always trust your dog" is what I have been told. So I did just that, I started following him close. He led me into a swamp about 30 yards and my brother decided he would stay back and let me go after the bird. As me and Buddy made our way through the swamp I lost my footing and fell flat on my face, the gun went barrel first into the mud and water about six inches (looked like a stake sticking up) so I got back up, cussing and swearing, grabbed the gun, broke it open to see the barrels caked with mud!
frown.gif

As I was checking my gun over, Buddy had flushed 3 grouse, and me standing there with a gun full of mud! I think I might have started crying at that point. I wish I could have known what was going thru my dogs head at that point.... probably something like 'Look man! I worked my tail off for you and you can't even keep your gun out of the mud to take a shot!'

Opening day that year only produced one grouse that my brother got while I was cleaning my gun........
frown.gif

OK guys, lets hear your stories... and I know you have some, if you say you don't your lying!
smile.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Dont know what I am dooing wrong. Yesterday AM birds all arounnd us, even got a good show
that is it.Today my ears are still rringggen.
Not from the shot(didnt have opp to) but from all the gobbling going on. THEN AS QUICK AS IT STARTED,IT STOPPED. Did see 4 on the way out,for what good it does.
I guess the hens are still hangen with the toms.
Maby my calls are as bad as my deek is UGLY.

------------------
jay

Come on fella's,

Are me and deerblaster the only ones that have bad days in the field?

We promise not to make fun of you... at least not to your face.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Ahhh a general embarrassment question. I'm good at these.

I was hunting deer here in Arizona and naturally there were quail everywhere so I get my shotgun and sling the rifle over the back. Quail hunting was good and was having fun when a herd of mule deer wanders out into the open. Its time to change weapons so I grab the rifle. The problem was that I did not have a sling on the shotgun. Soooo ... like any savy hunter I laid the shotgun on the ground in the open where I would have no problem finding it ...... You guessed it. After chasing deer for about 1/2 hour it was time to retrieve the shotgun .... do you think that I could find the darned thing, well NO ..... I looked .... and I looked .... I backtracked .... I looked in places that I hadn't even been in .... And it was getting dark .... and the boss would not be understanding about me not being at work the next day .... panic was setting in .... I was ready to give up .... on the way back to the truck, head down, deffinate panic in the air and I step right on this hard shinny gun shaped object in a place that I know that I wasn't in when I laid my shotgun down. To this day even though I was very much alone I know that some dasterdly deamon from hell moved my gun to teach me a lesson that I've never forgotten.
redface.gif

Michael

You must always watch out, Mabey a bunnyhugger moved it, or the nasty bambibeliever.
They are NEEKY CRITTERS.

------------------
jay

Great story Michael. Thank you for sharing it. I can honestly say that has never happened to me.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

I got a last minute call from my b-i-l to join him "because the grouse were thick". I get up at 00 early to drive three hours to meet him for breakfast. It's dark and with about 3 hours sleep, i threw my 20 ga O/U Grouse killer and a bag in the truck.

After breakfast we went out into what appeared to be perfect Ruffed Grouse territory. We parked about 1/2 mile away at the end of a fire trail. It smelt and felt very birdy. I unpacked the gun, threw a bunch of shells in my pocket and started walking. Getting close I pulled out a couple of shells and on the way to putting them in the tubes, something didnt look right.

I looked at the shells and they were 20 ga 3" sabot slugs left over from last years deer hunting. Quickly I pulled out the rest and it was the same story. I ran back to the truck and all that was in my bag was slugs. My B-I-L had a 12 ga.....SOL.....I spent the rest of the day being "the" flushing dog.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

A buddy of mine asked me to take him turkey hunting a few years back. Sooo... wanting to get anther person into the love of hunting I said "no problem, come over to the house around 3:00am." "Three??" He yelled. I explained that were I was going that weekend was a good 2 hour drive. Well, 3:00am rolls around and I didn't hear my alarm clock or something
wink.gif
, and I finally wake up around 3:20 at the sound of pounding on the bed room window. After letting him in the house and franticly running around getting ready I asked him to Grab the "small" box of shells off the top of my gun cabinet. To make a long story short 2 1/2 hours later we are in place and getting the guns loaded. I asked him for the shells, and you guessed it. A nice box of Federal SLUGS! He shot a nice bird about 9:30. In his defense I did say "small box"!!!!!!

Great stories guy's, thank you for sharing them.

Hey Shotgun, if you ever feel like playing the role of "flush dog" again let me know. I would be more then happy to shoot the birds that you flush.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Anytime ryank....just let me know where and when.

Actually, I have some land with a couple of other guys, and every deer season for the past 20 years I hunt Grouse while they deer hunt (obviously I know and trust them) and end up chasing deer into them. So see I'm very versitle ......

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Well Shotgun sounds like your buddies don't even need any huntin dogs as long as they keep you around.

Anyways the worst and funniest thing I've ever seen happen in the field was a corporative effort by my dad and a friend of his, Tim he brought out duck hunting with us.It Tim's first time duck huntin.Well,it all starts out well enough we get the decoys out we get set up under a stand of willows and are just waiting for daylight.When I hear a little bit of muttered cussin coming from Tim's tree.Dad asks him what the problem is and he says his guns jammed.Well he had just bought the gun a couple days before so we were all wonderin what was up.Upon closer inspection we realized he had managed to slide a shell in the tube of this pump shotgun backwards.I didn't really think this was possibly but he managed it.I'll give him a little credit cause it was dark but still a dumb move.But what my dad did next was dumber.He unscrewed the end of the tube,thinkin that he could just dump the shell out the end and be done with it.Well anyone who's ever taken apart a shotgun knows what happened next.Thats right BOING the spring shoots out into the pond about 20 ft into 3 1/2 ft of water.No one volunteered to go get it.So he ended up shootin it like a single shot pump the rest of the morning.

Later,
Justin

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Jbrad (edited 04-27-2001).]

Back