Hen turkey with 8' beard

Rich Cronk

I took my friend turkey hunting this morning and he got his first turkey. A HEN with an 8" beard.
smile.gif
Nope it wasn't an 8 foot beard like the topic indicates.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rich Cronk (edited 04-16-2001).]

I was hoping to get more replies on this thread because this is first hen I ever saw with a beard that measures over eight inches long. Have you guys seen anything like this before?

Rich...

It's not at all typical..you can find them here in Nebraska, but not very often! We have quite a few bearded hens running around, but most sport beards of less than 5 inches. The beard is just a mutated, guess that works for the lack of a better word, feather. I'd consider it a bragging right! You have yourself an unusual trophy there. Congrats!

Bob

------------------
Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

No, Rich. I've never heard of such. You might get your friend to contact some biologist or state records person. Y'all just might have a special bird on your hands.

Oh, yeah! It's not legal to harvest bearded hens in Tx in the spring, only fall. I'd make sure of that law before letting it get out to much.

------------------
B.Pierce

songdogger, how do they regulate bearded hens? That is a hot topic on the cafe that I visit, Might pass it along to the commision,if they dont know it already.
MDC says that any bearded bird is legal. What do they(TX)say about it?

------------------
Jay

Greenside,
My friend Irv Carper is almost three years older than I am so he most certainly is ancient alright.
smile.gif
His turkey weighed 17 pounds and he is having a full body mount made in flying position.

Back