Turkey Day 1 In Nebraska

Redmist

Had our good friend Steve Harrison from www.harrisongamecalls.homestead.com come out to the ranch with his 15 year old son Tanner on his first turkey hunt ever. Weather really cooperated today, about 32 in the morning reaching up to 70 during the mid-day. The gobblers are pretty much henned up right now. Steve had no trouble calling in hens and gobblers..with just one problem. Deer were getting inbetween him and the turkeys. Everytime he called in a bird, deer would immediately move in grazing the short grass. Would'nt mind having that problem in November.

The hens are real active right now, Steve had on more than one occasion a dominate hen racing to his scratches...just po'd at the possiblity of having an intruder in "her" area. Tanner did'nt have a real high percentage shot all day, having to deal with those deer that he could have reached out and touched. Tommorrow's another day.

I know Spring season has started in most of the country...any luck anywhere?

------------------
Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

There were turkeys all over south Texas last weekend I called in my first gobbler last tuesday.

Later,
Justin

------------------

predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Hey RedMist,

Had a little better luck along the Platte in Merrick County. My season was over about 8 minutes after legal. About 5 toms came down and headed off with the hens. But I was able to peel two of them off and brought them back in tight. Shot mine at 12 yards.

Good Luck this week!

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Hey NCH!

Well, things were much better today...This new turkey hunter just hit the bigtime! 15 yrs old, never t-hunted.. EVER...and look what he brought home to papa.

30lbs!
11 3/4 beard
1 1/4 spurs

He's gonna have a tough time beating that puppy....but he'll have a lot of fun trying!

His name is Tanner Harrison, Steve Harrisons son

tanner1a.jpg

------------------
Lost Mountain Ranch

Can you believe it?...It had a 35 1/2 inch girth...I'll post the pics here as soon as I get them back, I took them with a ruler and tape so their won't be any doubt. After pluckin the darn thing, I found a zip code tattooed on its rump....big bird. We had some guys from Kansas City today and they tagged a 21 and an 18 pounder, relatively small for our birds but still pretty damn nice.

Bob

------------------
Lost Mountain Ranch

Back