Welcome everyone!

ryank

Welcome to Bird Hunting. In this forum we will be discussing turkey, pheasent, quail, grouse, and any other upland game bird. Along with waterfowl, and the dogs that we use to hunt the birds.

So sit back and relax, post a couple topics, and always remember "Never spoil your bird dog"
wink.gif

RK

p.s. I almost forgot, one other bird we will talk about alot here is the Crow.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

It don’t consider myself a die-hard bird hunter, it’s not that I don’t enjoy hunting birds because I certainly do. Usually I’m just too wrapped up in calling critters to take time out for birds. There just isn’t enough time for hunting everything…. But in my mind, watching a good birddog work is something beautiful for the eye to behold.

I’ve never tried calling crows until I field-tested the new Phantom Predator Caller. The call as a sound for calling crows and man does it ever work! Crows just seemed to come out of nowhere and from everywhere, it was a fantastic experience for me.

I had a blast whack’n those black birds and I can see how one could get real involved in calling crows real quick. It’s something that I plan on getting more involved in the future.

One thing I noticed real quick. . . them crows are one intelligent bird, their eyesight is unbelievable! It doesn’t take much at all to spook them birds.

So - I know I’ll be throwing some questions at you on the subject pretty soon.

Ryank, can you be so kind and fill some of us in on your background as a bird hunter?

Sure glad to see a Predator Masters member step up to the plate and get involved in the growth of Predator Masters.

I think that the addition of this topic was a real good idea...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 04-09-2001).]

Well as for my background as a bird hunter, I started out hunting Ruffed Grouse when I was 8 years old with a .22 rimfire. I got my first bird dog when I was 10, he was a black lab and did really well hunting upland birds.

I started hunting waterfowl when I was 13, I would have started sooner but firearm saftey was first priority before I could venture off of my parents land to hunt other game.

I just got another bird dog (German Shorthair) last year and will start training her this summer. I will always miss Buddy, I had him for 14 years, but I think Misty will fill his shoes quite well.

I am involved with Ruffed Grouse Society every year. I have hunted MN, WI, SD, and Iowa for Ringneck Pheasents (by far my favorite!)

As for Crow's, think of them as our "Prarie Dog" we sometimes sit on the edge of a field and shoot them out to ranges exceeding 300 yards. There is a season on them here however, but they can be shot if they are doing or are about to do damage.
biggrin.gif
That cracks me up, if you see a crow here it's open game, because even if their not doing damage right now, they probably will be pretty soon.
biggrin.gif
If you guys want QUICK and FAST action, try crow hunting. Within minutes of turning on the caller you should have dozens of them checking you out.

AzWill, I know what you mean by not having much time, here when it is upland and waterfowl season my coyote hunting takes a couple months off. There is just something about a cackalling ringneck, or the drumming of a ruffed grouse that get's my blood a pumpin'.

If I missed something please let me know, and remember "Never spoil your bird dog"

RK

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

I’ll make just a few comments here about something I don’t know much about, and a little about something I do.

I’ve never done any water fowl hunting, but have done some upland bird hunting for many years. Mostly this is just meat for the pot, and has been done without the help of a really well trained bird dog. I love to watch a good pointer or setter work, but mostly I’ve been limited to a “Hienz ‘57" cross of some kind (terrier, shepherd, ect) that would flush quail and grouse, and double as a squirrel dog.

When I got my first Airedale, the first game I worked him on were birds; and the first thing shot over him were quail. Soon after, I switched him over to varmints and big game, but to this day (now 8 years old) he still continues to show interest in birds. I know of some Airedales that are used exclusively as upland bird dogs. Not the kind of dog normally associated with the sport.

The crows we have here in the mountains are big, and everyone locally refers to them as ravens. I have never intentionally hunted them, and have never shot one; but I find they come just fine to a regular predator call. No only the ravens, but a variety of other birds, including blue jays, magpies, hawks, eagles, owls, ect, etc.

When I am backed up against a tree and squalling on a predator call, it is not uncommon at all to have several of the big black birds circling in the air above me, and a few perched in nearby trees. I never shoot them, as I believe it adds to the credibility of the stand, and will help in attracting the critters that I am really after. Besides, it is amusing to watch some of their antics.

Bob,

In Minnesota anyway, raven's are a protected bird. Crow's tend to be about half the size of a raven. The easiest way that I have been able to tell the difference between the two is this... Raven's can not glide. Crow's can. (if this is only a wise tale someone please let me know) But so far, every case that I have experienced this stands to be true.

RK

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Ryan- I think you're the victim of an "old wives tale". When you say glide, do you mean "soar"? That is, riding the thermals, wings outstreatched, without flapping. Actually, raven and crows are both accomplished soaring birds, and often join groups of turkey vultures riding the thermals.
Besides the raven being almost twice the size of a crow, there are other distinguishing features. Ravens have whiskers. Bristling hairs you can see 20 yards away. But the primary characteristic is the voice. A crow "caws" whereas a raven cackles. It sounds something like "braack".
Ravens are primarilly carrion feeders, where crows are omniverous. Ravens nest on cliff faces whenever possible, and crows prefer tree tops. So there are some subtle differences. (Just my ante for the new pot)

Ryank,

I have no idea what the scientific difference between a crow and a raven is. I do know that the birds we have here are big, and they definitely can glide! They are often soaring around me as I sit at a calling site.

Whatever the proper name for them is, and whether or not they are legal game, I have no desire or intention to shoot them. As I said, they add a lot to a stand. No matter how long I have been calling, as long as the birds show interest I will continue to call. If they are interested in my efforts, so are the critters that wear hair (or fur).

Have hunted deer turks yotes quail rabbits most any thing that you would find in cent Mo. Deer has gotten to easywith gun.turkey on the other hand is not so easy, have hunted then for around 20yrs. Only blasted one, but what a rush had to do the WTWF pile driver on him!!!

I've never hunted a bird in my life, maybe that's because I can't tan those hides
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, just wanted to drop in and pay my respects to the new thread. Looks good Ryan, and Rich. Good picks Azwill.

Ryan...I DO have a pure bred Golden Retriever, but he's spoiled rotton.
biggrin.gif

ok, carry on
~River Runner~

Hi Guys,

Love the idea of a bird hunting forum here. I love to hunt ducks and geese. I live on a waterfowl lake about a quarter mile from a goose refuge. Those honkers fly out every morning and evening and don't know exactly where the refuge line is. I'm here to teach them a thing or two!

I raise labs and run a training kennel called Buker's Spruce hill Kennels. I do all sorts of training from obedience to hand signals. Most of my work is with retrievers because we are in such a big duck hunting area here in Minnesota. But, each year I get to work with setters, pointers and the like. I'm also the instructor for the lakes area humane society here in Alexandria.

I'll be glad to help out with any questions about dogs that happen to come up.

Randy Buker

------------------
Hunting the Red fox
http:.//www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/5460

It is an honor to have you here Randy. We should go out sometime and get some waterfowl.

I sure do miss my old lab, he was wonderful because he would hunt upland as well as waterfowl.

I have a German Shorthair now that I am going to start training for upland game. Maybe I'll just have to get another lab for waterfowl.
biggrin.gif
(I'm sure the girlfriend wouldn't mind)

Anyway, welcome to Bird Hunting Randy, make yourself at home.

Ryan

------------------
ryanspheasantlogo.jpg

Ryank,

What do you mean "Never spoil your bird dogs"
smile.gif
smile.gif

missy.jpg

She's not SPOILED.... Much

[This message has been edited by Elk Laughing (edited 04-13-2001).]

Elk,

I don't think that it's spoiling....... (because mine sleeps on the chair also)
biggrin.gif

And I know that I would never ever spoil my bird dog. MY GIRLFRIEND DOES!!!! yeah that's it... hahaha I will blame her if my dog turns out spoiled.
biggrin.gif

Next time Elk, post a pic and say "Look what my wife/girlfriend let's MY bird dog do"
wink.gif

Beautiful dog by the way.

Ryan

------------------
ryanspheasantlogo.jpg

I like this new bird forum.
I have hunted dove,duck,geese,sandhill crane,phesant,quail and turkey.Just about every game bird we have in Texas.I also use to train Labs when I was a kid.I ran several AKC and NAHRA hunting retiever trials.I gave it up when I started Highschool rodeoing. But I'm planning to get a Lab this summer.I hunted birds a few times last year and realized half the fun was the dogs.So I hope I can help answer a few questions.

Later,
Justin

P.S. Hey Ryan when are you gonna get some bird GIF's for the board?

------------------

predatorlogo3jpg.gif

[This message has been edited by Jbrad (edited 04-15-2001).]

Back