NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Per GC's request on another post, here is some my personal patterning data. My primary shotgun is a Browning Citori with 3 1/2" chambers. All patterns are at 50 yds.

Here are some BB Patterns with different loads/chokes:

Here is a 3 1/2" load of Rem HD BB's with a Dead Coyote Choke .666"
10dxe38.jpg

Here is a 3 1/2" load of Rem HD BB's with a Terror .655" choke
wtirmd.jpg

Here is the same load with a Terror .675"
dpzj1h.jpg

Here is a load of 3" Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB's with a Terror .675"
2lav7th.jpg

Here's some 3" Dead Coyote loads:
Dead Coyote choke .660"
28rlabt.jpg

Terror .675" choke
2i87cl.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun, I am showing my Turkey set-up, at $4.00 a pull it is expensive, but very effective.

3 1/2"Federal Heavyweight #5's with my .655 Terror
w9fv2q.jpg

Here are some patterns from my back-up gun. A Remington 870 with 3" chamber (I lengthened the forcing cone).

These are 40 yd patterns, the circles are 30" diameter for reference:

PatternMaster Choke and Fed. Premium 00 Buck
To bad buckshot isn't legal here
2ynncx2.jpg

PatternMaster Choke and Hevi-Shot B's
fm0whv.jpg

PatternMaster Choke and Federal Lead BB's
2iha5gm.jpg

JBD,

That 50 yard pattern with the Fed. Heavyweight 5,s is very impressive! It would be interesting to see how far they would penetrate into 3/8" plywood. If they penetrate through that much plywood, you MIGHT just have a coyote killer there.

I noticed that your 50 yard patterns with Hevi-shot T's strike high on the target just like my Beretta does. If I decide to use the T,s all of the time, I plan to adjust my Burris speed bead to center the target. After seeing your dense 50 yard pattern with the #5 Federal Heavyweight, I am seriously thinking about trying some of those Federals in #2.

Look how my shotgun pattern strike a bit high at 50 yards with the Hevi shot T,s.
Extrema680002-1.jpg

Which patermastern tube are you using in your latest post? The long range model? That bugger is a killer with 00 BUCK.

JBD,
Good stuff, appreciated. Is that Terror choke a ported wad stripping type? I've shot quite a bit of the Flite Control wad and never found a ported/wad stripping choke that shot them well. I'm betting you also know of several choke makers that specifically warn against using their ported chokes with the Flite Control wads.

Regarding the turkey data. I am shooting an Indian Creek .665" BDS and the Hevi13 3-2-6 load and breaking 200 pellets in the 10" @ 40 yards. It is a head shredder - gobblers hate it!
smile.gif

When I bought the patternmaster about 10 yr ago, it was the only kind available, the only options were ported or plain. It is the long range version, I would guess. I bought it for its advertised buckshot patterns, but have since learned how awesome it is using steel shot when I got into waterfowling. It turns out it throws the Hevi-Shot pretty good as well.

Originally Posted By: GCJBD,
Is that Terror choke a ported wad stripping type?

No, it is a heavy walled choke made from a special material, which I can't remember. It was developed to pattern steel tightly at the highest velocities, it works well with other shot materials too
smile.gif

The down side to the Terror chokes (for double barrels only) is due to the thick extended portion of the choke. I can't put them in both barrels, there just isn't enough room. Thus, I usually put the .675 Terror in the bottom barrel and the Calrson's dead coyote choke in the top barrel.

Originally Posted By: Rich Cronk I am seriously thinking about trying some of those Federals in #2.

To the best of my knowledge, the Turkey loads are only available in #5,6,& 7. The coyote loads are only availabe in BB size. The heavyweight brand is the high density stuff, 15grams/cc. The regular hd and hevi-shot stuff is around the 12gram/cc (I think) and lead is around 11grams/cc. They figure 5,6,7 is heavy enough for bigger birds (turkey/geese) and BB are big enough for coyote. #2's would be sweet if they were available.

Originally Posted By: JBD-TNJust for fun, I am showing my Turkey set-up, at $4.00 a pull it is expensive, but very effective.

3 1/2"Federal Heavyweight #5's with my .655 Terror
w9fv2q.jpg

Nice!

I'm not thrilled with my patterns. Is this a "normal" pattern for my setup? Or should I try another choke?

40 yards, 3" white square, 20 hits inside green 10" circle
Rem 870
Carlson's Dead Coyote choke
3" Dead Coyote T shot

photo-47.jpg

I recently installed a Burris "Speed Bead" red dot optic on my Beretta Extrema. Here are a couple of photos showing today's results. I used Winchester 3&1/2" #4 BUCK (54 pellet). This fodder is quite a bit lower priced than Hevi shot, and when you take a serious look at a pie plate from an honest 50 yards, it is a Lonnnggggg ways for a shotgun.

DSCF12901.jpg

DSCF12911.jpg

It is amazing how an extra ten yards affects a shotgun pattern. Rich, I always thought that if I put glass on my shotgun the Burris Fast Fire II / SpeedBead unit would be the one.

I didn't realize they were bringing a new model out. I'm going to guess that you will no longer have to resight in after changing a dead battery out? I'm not ready to bolt glass on board my shotgun yet, that would seem to be a good candidate for such hunting uses like turkeys and predators.

Yup. Battery loads from the top, easy adjustable windage/elevation, adjustable brightness setting, and your choice of dot sizes 3moa or 8moa.

I had been thinking about mounting a low power scope on my shotgun, but chose the speed bead because of it's light weight and low profile.
DSCF1284.jpg

Dirty dog,
The choke I am presently using is a .680 "Gobbling Thunder" from Kicks Industries.

Edited to add--- I suggest that you ask GC, but I am thinking that he found the Kicks .675 Gobbling Thunder to be best in his Remington. By the way, is it OK if I just yell "Hey, Yah Dirty Dog!" when I need you?
lol.gif

Last edited:
Back