Virginia public land

()verKill

I just want to see if any of you guys are having luck hunting the WMA or state forest this fall? I'm looking for somewhere to do some calling, I haven't had luck finding some private land to hunt.

Is there any areas that you can recommend? I havent done much exploring up there yet. Ive been meaning to just havent had the time.

Hows it going ()verKill! I live in Newport News and mainly hunt Dragon Run State Forest and Browne State forest up in King and Queen County and Essex County. I have seen a couple of coyotes and bobcats while we were running dogs during deer season. I'm not sure of the firearm regulations up there IRT predator hunting. I know as far as deer its shotgun/muzzleloader only.

Brandon,
I live in VA Beach. I have been thinking about hunting Dragon Run. How was it up there. Is it worth the ride? I don't mind a private message if you don't want to let a cat out of the bag.

Is Dragon Run state forest really thick, or does it have some areas that are cut out. I noticed it was pretty close to us so it might be a good place for me to just check out.

Thanks!!

If it wasn't the last [beeep] of squirrel tomorrow I would check it out next weekend. I have heard dragon run is a great canoe river. I have never heard of anyone hunting it until this past week.

Essex and King & Queen both no rifles larger than 22 RIMFIRE except for groundhogs March 1 to September.

Last edited:
I hunt the National Forest in Amherst County a good bit and I haven't had any luck.

Went with another guy last weekend to the public land near Big Island and didn't see anything either. Pretty certain it gets a lot of pressure.

So pretty much private land is the way to go. Everyone I talk to about public land hunting says the same thing, nothing good. Any ideas???

I have deer and small game hunted the Thomas Jefferson out on 33 west of harrisonburg. Wide open. I have never tried calling for predators though. Usually when I head up that way it is for the day and I am either fly fishing or deer hunting. I think a screaming cottontail might have an adverse reaction on the deer hunting. Although when I head up next year for bear it might help out,........

Chick would be my first choice. There are the fields and alot of wide open hard woods. With that being said I haven't seen any predators there. I have seen scat and some destroyed woodpeckers. Actually just thought of a place I want to go try.

I was going to try calling there, but I've talked to a few people and they haven't really seen too much sign of them being there. I think your the first person I have talk to that's actually seen scat there. What's the other spot you were thinking about. Send me a PM if you want.

Originally Posted By: ()verKillHow's the national forest land there in Amherst County? Is it pretty thick, or does it have some open areas for calling?

It has both, but there's more thick areas than open.

Back