Coyotes+...

Ursus21

It seems to rain non-stop here this spring. I wish we could send some of this water to Texas and those other states that are so dry right now. Since I can't the best I can do is try and make the most of those short breaks between rain storms.

Last Friday was cloudy but it hadn't rained. That evening I couldn't take not being out in the hills anymore so I grabbed my rifle, caller, camo, and headed for the door. It was a long hike in to a new area I had been wanting to hunt for some time. I wanted to wait until the wind would be just right in both terms of direction and wind speed. Friday evening was it. As I was walking in I noted that the clouds were getting darker and hoped that the rain would hold off long enough for me to make a stand or two. That, and I wasn't crazy about the idea of hiking back to the truck during a lightening storm with an AR in my hands. I got settled into a beautiful spot with the wind in my face and what little sun there was at my back. I called softly as it was very calm and I knew the sound would carry well. About 12 minutes later I spotted a coyote meandering in about 400 yards out. He was in no hurry and would stop often to look around or mouse. He was very cautious. I would stop calling as long as he was moving my direction, but when he would stop for more than 10 seconds or so I would quietly hit him with a little more sound to keep his interest. He had to cross a deep valley to get to me that would put him out of sight for a few seconds. When he dropped in I used that moment to get my rifle at the ready. He popped back up and was only 137 yards away, broadside and looking away from me. I thought about letting him get closer just for kicks and giggles, but decided I'd rather bet on a sure thing. The AR trigger broke clean and the coyote hit the ground instantly. Didn't even twitch. That old boy died and never knew I was there or what hit him. I hiked down to him and drug him back to the top of the valley near my stand. I took a few photos and decided I better high tail it back to the truck as those clouds weren't looking good. I had no sooner jumped in my truck and the rain hit the wind shield. I said a quick prayer of thanks for letting me have just enough time and headed home.
TroyCoyoteJune10ASmaller.jpg

The next day I had to travel out of town. I called a friend in the area I was headed to and asked if he wanted to hook up for a little calling and messing around in the mountains. He was game so off we went. Only had time for two stands. Called in and killed a wet female on the first stand. This did not break my heart as this particular property is one of my favorite areas to deer hunt and I'd just as soon there not be any coyotes there. The second stand nothing came in. I forgot to take my camera to the first stand so I didn't get any photos of the coyote. However between the first and second stand we ran across this track.
BearTrack.jpg

What I'd give to run across this bear during bear season. He's a definite shooter and folks in case y'all don't know that is a DANG GOOD bear track! Here is one more photo of the tracks and note the extra little bonus track of another critter I love to hunt on the right side of the picture.
smile.gif
All I can say is living in Montana really doesn't suck despite all the rain.
BearTrackA.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics and story, Ursus. That photo with the coyote is a wall-hanger.

Nice pose on the coyote - he's taking a little nap apparently right by your rifle.
wink.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Raptor

I'm with you on the rain. Every day its raining. The top of the boat ramp is three feet under water.
Nice story too.
We have bear hanging around our place looking for fawns. I chase them off and they're back the next night. Season ended a month ago. Too bad.

Don't mind the rain, although its rough to get anything done around the place. I just can't keep from thinking about the coming heat....don't care for the heat of late summer.

Nice dog too! Yea, I like to bear hunt too, can understand your thoughts.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ursus21the extra little bonus track of another critter I love to hunt
With dogs? Pointers or flushers? I'm partial to the former and am counting the days.

Nice bear track and good story as usual Troy.

Sendit

Love the picture and story! Thanks for sharing.

Wish we could take some of that rain off your hands, too. Last measureable rain was in Jan. and last beneficial rain last Sept. Believe I'll pass on all the snow, however
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

sendit223 neither, with a call and a shotgun, that's a turkey track you see there.

hm1996, if I could send some of this water your way I'd do it in a heart beat. I'm really hating it for you guys down there. I have many friends and some family in Texas. I keep hoping to hear better news.

Man what id give to have a pic of my own like the first one. glad you were fortunate enough to harvest a few fur bearers. one day i will have enough knowledge to kill my first dog. hope its a good story to tell too. thanks for sharing.

Back