Howling for coyotes

Rich do u have a book of basics, like setups howls distress calls I need drawings of setups and wind direction to get a good idea on how to hunt coyotes. Also this night hunting hhis does it work(ie:how do u see)

Ashly,

I have never written a book on howling. The most important thing is to have a good idea where the coyotes will be when you begin your stand. Coyotes here in my area are out in the open fields at night, where they hunt for mice and such. Not long after daybreak, they head back to the thick stuff. Most of my calling is done from a ridge top, and I hunt during the day. Early morning is best, with the last hour before dark being a close second. I read posts where guys are howling way too much. Coyotes do not often howl in that fashion. I howl once, twice, maybe three times and then go silent for several minutes.

I have almost zero experience in calling at night. Night time calling works very well if it is legal to use a light while calling in your state.

Originally Posted By: Rich Cronkhttp://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/lone1.wav

The above is one version of a young coyote "lonesome" howl. I recorded it with one of my own calls.

HHHHHOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYY Macural, DUDE.............. Sir.
scared.gif

Have I got a LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOTT to learn.
Just saved your site.
Going to be reading for a long time.
Thanks again,
Gman

Originally Posted By: Gman17Originally Posted By: Rich Cronkhttp://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/lone1.wav

The above is one version of a young coyote "lonesome" howl. I recorded it with one of my own calls.

HHHHHOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYY Macural, DUDE.............. Sir.
scared.gif

Have I got a LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOTT to learn.
Just saved your site.
Going to be reading for a long time.
Thanks again,
Gman
-----------------------------
Gman,

I have some howls that I recorded with my own vocal chords that I loaded on my Foxpro CS-24, and two or three of those howls are found under the preset buttons. E mail me if you would like a couple of those howls for your own use.

Thanks, I'll take ya up on that.
Let me get a couple things, that are pending out of the way, And I'll get back w/ ya.
Gman

astring,

Personally, I would bite the bullet and get the CS-24 standard. The only thing that bothers me is that presently their duets are recorded in stereo, so I was only getting half of the duet. I stuck em in my Cool edit program and converted the duets to mono. Now I get the full duet with my single speaker. I should call Steve Dillon and advise him of that little problem. Sure I could carry a second speaker to plug into the supplied speaker jack, but I am not big on carrying extra stuff along ya know? I am an old fashioned Grandpa who is set in his ways.
thumbup.gif

Now Possumal, who is even older than me---he carries enough junk to every stand he almost needs a wheelbarrow.
lol.gif

Hello Teeny,
Glad to see a PA boy Putting his time in. I'm new to the game and could use some calling tips. Been after some dogs for about 2 months now and can't seem to get it right. i'm hunting the night from about dark to 10 * 10:30. I have lots of sign and what sounds like a large pack vocalizing regularly. Have yet to eben see some eyes. I use an electronic caller with both distress and howling mixes.Been playing the wind and the weather with no luck. Heavily wooded mountains limit vision at distance. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Shadowhunter/2

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and coyote hunting. There's some great info on here!

I'm new to calling coyotes. I went to our property in Meigs co., Ohio and switched to howling last friday. I called one in on my first stand in the middle of the day. I was setting in a deer stand on the side of a hill in the woods. the area has patches of thick cover. I was using hand calls, two different pitch howlers, doing invitation howls. I also did some female whimpers with the higher pitch howler. I didn't get the kill because I hesitated for an instant. I found out the window of opportunity can be pretty narrow when hunting yotes. It came in and started to circle me out about 70 yds or so. It went about 3/4 of the way around me then circled back. I lost it in the brush only to hear it back in the area it came in from. The funny thing is it never went down wind which in this case was up hill from me. It disappeared heading back were it came from in the same leasurely trot it was in the entire time. I guess it got tired of looking for the source of the sound. I went out on 4 more stands after that 3 at night with some local hunters. We had plenty of Yotes answering our howls but No luck getting another yote in for a shot. Even though I didn't score on the hunt I'm excited to know I'm making sounds that a coyote will respond to. In other words I'm hooked!
I want to add that the Coyote I call in never made a sound the whole time. During the night hunts they howled like crazy.
Prior to this I out on was out on 5 stands over the last 3 weeks, 1 at night, in central Ohio where I live using distress calls with out any luck. I'm sold, I'm switching to howls for now.

Last edited:
cman962, it has been my experience that more coyotes come in silent than barking back. Makes me believe that a good number of them come in, hang up in the thick stuff, and just watch. If they don't see anything to support the racket they hear, they slip back off. Got to keep their interest so curiosity can kill the coyote.

Good hunting at ya!

This past hunting season my partner (Yote Yoda) & me started taking both of our callers (shockwave) to the field with us. Using one for our main calling and setting the 2nd one down short of where we are walking to. Once the action starts we'll use the dropped off caller to bark or howl at the right time and create quite a stir. Dogs that are hung up or simply watching in the distance often chime in thinking there are multiple dogs in the area & end up coming on in. We have turned many empty stands into dog producers with this.

When I first stated hunting coyotes I couldn't do any calls for sometime except the HOWL. I killed a lot of coyotes just howling. I've had a few howl back and come in but that's not the norm---they usually just slip in to check out the other coyote.

Barking and Howling has been one of our go to calls for 25+ years(YoteYoda, 4Paws & Possumal). We usally howl back an forth at each other two or three times the first ten minutes of each stand b4 we ring the dinner bell. We also howl once at the end of the stand and sit for 5-10 minutes b4 we exit. When a stand is over if we have heard howling back at us from a distance we close the gap and do another stand much closer to the area where we heard the howling.

My favorite trick with howling is going back to an area where I have killed a coyote in the last 12-24 hours and doing Lonesome Howling. We have killed a ton of coyotes over the years with this trick. Love to trick the Trickster.

As far as how much gear to carry during the hunt that's up to you. Some like to travel light some like to carry a lot of gear. IMO you carry every item that you need to have a successful coyote hunt. The basics to me our rifle, bipod/tripod etc, something to make sitting comfortable and some mouth calls or e caller.

Last edited:
Guys,
It sounds to me like some of you are howling too much. One or three lonesome sounding howls before going silent would work better for you. My old Champion Tannery links no longer work, and I don't get over here much anymore. Barking on stand is usually a bad idea because the barks may be perceived as aggression by the younger and less aggressive coyotes. Feel free to E mail me if you need advice about calling..
cronkcalls@cox.net

Back