2-7 power scope on a ar?

KTM300

Does anyone here use a 2-7 power scope on their ar and if so how do you like it? what do you like, and what dont you like?

I have a 2-7x32 Burris FFII on mine. It is decent for the $$ I have in it. It's a real nice size for a hunting rig for shots we encounter around here. It's not the best for working up loads and trying to shoot tiny groups.

I also have a 2x7x35mm Burris Fullfield II with the German #4 reticle on an AR and it works out pretty well. Turned down to 2X it is fast on target with a wide field of view and a reticle I can see in low light that tracks easily on quick moving game. At 7X soda cans aren't safe at 250 - 300 yards. It is neat and compact and lightweight. I ain't hating it...

Originally Posted By: GCI also have a 2x7x35mm Burris Fullfield II with the German #4 reticle on an AR and it works out pretty well. Turned down to 2X it is fast on target with a wide field of view and a reticle I can see in low light that tracks easily on quick moving game. At 7X soda cans aren't safe at 250 - 300 yards. It is neat and compact and lightweight. I ain't hating it...

I love the #4 reticle! I could never warm up to those leupy reticles

X 2 on the Leupold, I mean Redfield...

I dialed mine up to 7 on a dog in Oct that was sitting on a hillside 300 yards out. One shot, one kill.

the thing is, you can always dial them up, but you can NEVER dial them down fast enough. A low power on a calling rifle, especially a repeater, is a good idea IMO.

Lower power works great for me. Small sections and lots of cover, so it's rare I have to reach way out. For 300yds and in a 2-7 will work great.

I have a 3-9 on right now, but was looking at a 2-7 redfield the other day and thought it looked pretty good. I'm either gonna switch out for that or a 2.5-8 leupold.

I really like having a low power scope with a big field of view. Seems like 90% of the shooting I do is on the lowest power of my scope on any given gun.

2x7/3x9 in my neck of the woods in the hills of southern ohio.
if you live and hunt in the flats, a larger variable is better.

Thanks guys, the Redfield has caught my eye, but I havent been able to look through one yet. I also have a chance at a 2-7 Nikon Monarch for $200, is that a good price?

I grabbed one of the 2-7 Vortex Vipers for my recent AR build, and so far I really like it. Really clear glass for the price point ($150 or so) and very discernible and audible clicks when making vertical or horizontal corrections.

As an added point, my AR dropped from a standing position the other day. I took it to the range, and to my surprise it was only 1" off to the left!! I figured it would be way off, but they must be fairly sturdily built?!?

No complaints here...

i used a 2-7 nikon prostaff on mine. i swapped it out to a 4-12 awhile back and didnt like it. i went back to the 2-7. i bought the ar for a woods/close quarters gun and thats what i want it set up for. the 2-7 works perfect for me and ive shot critters out to 250yards with no problem with it. i wont bump up anytime soon. if i need to shoot further ill pull out the 22-250 bolt gun. lol

I have a 2x7 leup on my ruger #1 in 7x57mauser. (really like it) for the Michigan deer woods.
I'm really leaning toward a Red field 2x7 for my next AR.
especially after reading this thread... isn't this scope also made by Leupold?

I like low power scopes. The only setback is getting smaller groups at long distance when working up a load. Works great for all hunting situations.

Originally Posted By: vixI have a 2x7 leup on my ruger #1 in 7x57mauser. (really like it) for the Michigan deer woods.
I'm really leaning toward a Red field 2x7 for my next AR.
especially after reading this thread... isn't this scope also made by Leupold?
It sure is. I bought a Redfield 2-7 to put on a slug gun for next deer season, but it's going to end up on my build I have in progress. They are very nice - clear glass, lifetime warranty...

Back