HELP NEEDED!!!

AlphaDog

I need help! I'm not sure if this post should be here, but I feel its important!
Anti-hunters has just banned leg hold traps in ohio! I was really looking forward to trapping season untill now. I am taking a home study course to get my trapping permit, and when I called the division of wildlife I have no idea how I'm suppose to trap now!
They even banned snares!
The only exception for leg holds is for coyotes, HARDLY ANY COYOTES AROUND HERE ANYMORE!!!
The anti-hunters are getting their way!
They will start to stop trapping and get their way and then they will start with hunting!!!
Banning firearms and everything else.
I know trapping isn't popular anymore but we have to get these traps back! If we dont, the anti's will start getting into hunting and ruin that for us!
I was looking forward to trapping season, but it was all taken away from me!!!!
And soon it will be like that with hunting!

So what do you guys say? Can you help me start a petition to get our traps back? I need as much help as possible!

P.S.!!!!!!

AlphaDog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

ya they took trapping away here in washington state now they are going to take archery this year sorry about trapping in ohio good luck guys Rick

OK,

Now I'm really confused.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I Heard from a dear freind that leg holds are illegal, I then called the game commission and they say they are legal except for coyote and snares are too.....I then talked to a guy at Kames and he said that leg traps are prohibited within city limits.
I got the new regulations for the season, and it says nothing about it. And the guy at the deer hunter says he knows nothing about it...
So now I dont know what to think.

Should I still make a petition to allow trapping in city limits?
Because my thinking is, if you get coyotes and woodchucks and such. Their gonna cause problems...because you know you can't shoot a gun in city limits...
Coyotes attack dogs and cats(could give a care about cats) and woodchucks cause problems with farmers... You have any idea what I should do?

I myself, I'm just gonna go by the book. It says nothing about illegal traps so I'll use them...

and by the way bearmanric, anything we could do to help you guys get your trapping priveleges back? And also help with keeping archery season?
because you know if they do away with archery season, their start with gun too untill no more hunting exist......

Happy Huntin,
a very /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif AlphaDog

I just copied the following from State of Ohio website, showing regulations for the year 2001-2002.

Special Trapping Regulations
There are no restrictions on hours or bag limits. All traps and snares must be checked and all animals removed every 24 hours. Provided further all raccoons, foxes, and coyotes shall be killed immediately and reduced to the person ’s possession. All flesh baits must be totally covered. Leghold traps set on land must be covered. Leghold traps set on land shall not have an inside diameter jaw spread greater than 5 5/8 inches. Body gripping traps set on land, or in a tile, den, or burrow on land shall not have an inside diameter jaw spread greater than 5 inches in diameter. Body gripping traps with an inside diameter jaw spread greater than 7 inches in diameter must be completely submerged in water. Except for live traps, no traps or snares may be set within 150 feet of another person ’s occupied residence without advising the resident. No person shall disturb a trap or snare or remove a furbearing animal from a trap or snare of another person without permission. Traps with teeth in the jaws are prohibited. Deadfalls are illegal.

Yeah, thats what I have in my trapping regs. The Regs book that I have is for 2002 to 2003. But why would a women working in the game commission office tell me they would be illegal?
Suppose she is secretly anti?

AlphaDog

Alpha .Contact the Ohio Trapper's Ascociation and they can give you the run down. It is what they do. It would be advisable if you are truly in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif terrested in trapping to join the organizatiom as well. They will keep you informed of any type of changes or pending legislation and what you can do to help.>>>>>>>>>James L.

James, Thank you and I really appreciate the help.

Webmaster, if you want you can delete this post untill I can actually find out if they have made leg holds illegal in ohio.

Big thanks to everyone that has replyed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlphaDog

I'm with James on this one...contact the Ohio Trappers Association.
I'm on the National Trappers Association's news list and receive an average of 40 e-mails a day off of it. I haven't noticed anything like you described.

I don't trap, Alpha. I stay on the news list to keep updated on the anti's and such, but if there's anything we can do to help....talk to us Bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alpha

The National Trappers Association's convention is being held at Mansfield, Ohio, August 15-18 (next weekend). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am sure if you attend, you will have a great time and the demos will give you new insights. The Ohio people should also be able to bring you put to speed on any trapping issues which may be pending in your state.

Good luck trapping - Scott

OK,

Thank you everyone for replying, I had numerous people from ohio tell me that legholds weren't illegal so I'm gonning by the book.

And I'll try and attend the convention though I'm not sure if I'll beable to go or not.

Once again, thank you everyone

AlphaDog

check with trappers at the forum trapperman.com may be you can find some thing about it.

those*&^&^$%&$#$%$*&^%&^&)(* baned trapping in Colorado and now are trying to regulate wildlife contrtol operators to; we can not bring back trapping but we are creating the colorado wildlife control operators association to try to stop them from geting there to.

don't let them do it in ohio to.

the antis are work the weakest goups first all who hunt fish 4 wd snowmobile or whe ever we need to stand are ground but no we fight amunst are selve till the next weakest one goes i have been saying this for 20 years now i am a farmer and can see at that end to

i am mad now how mant out there go to wildlife dept. meetings or cattleman meetings no we all sit at home and watch bay watch on tv and druel and wonder why we are loosing the battle the home pc can be a very big tool in the battle against the antis get off you butt and do something go see what they teach your kidds in school about wildlife there again the antis are in the schools hope this puts a fire under someone

Back