Best Coyote Decoy?

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm thinking about trying a decoy this year. One of my hunting partners just went hunting with a guy that uses one and they killed 5 dogs in an afternoon. So, we thought we might get one and give it a try. We have a lot of trouble getting them to come out into open fields (so we're usually in pretty thick brush) but he said it seemed to make them more comfortable about coming out - by seeing another coyote already there.

Just wondering what decoys others have used or would recommend?

We're in South Texas so I'd like to find a smaller decoy because I think a big northern coyote decoy may intimidate ours.

We're in South Texas so I'd like to find a smaller decoy because I think a big northern coyote decoy may intimidate ours.

LOL>>>>LOL>>>> now that is funny....LOL.....

and here we thought everything was BIG IN TEXAS...

Last edited:
You have to LOVE your decoy!

You can't just like it ... LOVING your decoy will make it work harder for you.
lol.gif

All kidding aside, I haven't had much luck with them. I'd focus more on getting everything else right while on a stand before I'd resort to using one. Then you might find that you don't NEED one.

I've got a Jack-n-box, I like alot of things about it but some things i don't

Pros: its a foxpro, good motion, seems to be built well, several options for toppers

Cons: very slight motor noise when rotates( not sure if it audible to a dog or not i'm thinking if they are that close i can kill them "maybe"), the jack attack decoy fits both small wire and large wire, but woodpecker attachment will only fit small wire 8-10" large wire 18" is to heavy of a gauge to fit (i was going to drill it out but figured i would screw it up), needs a strap to carry it. yoterden makes a bag for it but it's kinda expensive (may buy it anyway),

Other than that I like it. Had dog come in the other day kept her eye on it the whole time dropped her at 100yds. Others i've wondered if it spooked them. Decoys don't work all the time.

The decoy I was asking about was a full size coyote type of decoy - either a fabric one or one of those plastic coyotes.

I have a Jack in the box but I prefer the Mojo Critter because the box stands out to much and the Mojo is really low profile. I've never had much luck with either for coyotes but they work well for me for cats and fox.

Sorry SouthTex... couldn't help myself...

you have a good question here... as I have wondered about using coyote decoys as well... I even own one and haven't really tried it yet...but need too. I saw a video on youtube where a guy used a full body style... the coyotes came out of cover into the field and barked at it from a distance. They didn't go to the decoy... but got them out into the open for a shot... which is what I liked about it. I wouldn't need them to run it over... just stand out there barking for a shot.

But it does seem like they may charge it during mating season.

sounds like you have the place down there to test it on.

Want me to bring mine on down...?

Foxpro Jack-Attack, works great for me, I have it mounted on a small tri-pod since the ground here is rock hard this time of year. Very quite.

Back