MORE VIRUS..Deliberate attack on PM!!!

Bob/SoCal

Ok folks,

Predator Masters is undergoing a deliberate attack by forces unknown with this virus thing. I just received an email from "Postmaster" with JasonElPaso's name attached. It wasn't sent by Jason, the tweedledick whose sending it is getting email addresses from the site. It said this email "Outdoor Adventures" was undeliverable and that the attached file was a copy of the original email sent....PLEASE CHECK EMAIL BEFORE OPENING.

A copy of the text of said email:

The following mail can't be sent to [url=mailto:jasonsgunroom@elp.rr.com:

Yes Craig...only email with attachments.

Mike just got one with my address on it. It contained a virus...this dude is emailing everyone....

Bob,I've had about 50 like that in 2 days. Postmaster, Message undeliverable, etc. I just got 10 more while I was typing this.
Redfrog

Guys I just sent John Henry at CG and Leonard at Huntmasters a heads up.

We cant let anything happen to them can we? who would we have to talk about.

This virus is not a direct attack on PM. It has been going around to other websites as well. From what I understand it sends itself to everyone in your address book and sent items folders. And before it does this, it turns things around so it looks like it came from somewhere that it did not come from. If this makes sence, I guess the hacker who invented it didn't want to be traced. It will however attack and eat files on your hard drive. It is a shame that these hackers who can do such awsome things with computer programing, spend their time destructively, instead of constructively. Boy my spelling sucks. I wonder if they get paid by the people who make virus protection software?

There is a new one going around now. It has its own built-in email engine. It uses your address book, but not your email program. It generates emails to people in your address book and sends them, with a variety of subject lines. It also makes up the sender name so you can't tell who's box it came from.

Bob, what you posted looks more like someone MAY have sent it to you on purpose, but maybe not.

I vote for a full blown frontal attack on this person if we catch them and I don't mean an email attack............

Hello
I have a thought. Why dont we enlist the aid of our Law Enforcement members, if Bob can trace down the originator of this virus, who is deliberately sending them to us, then lets have out LE buddies help us cut some red tape to get this prick tossed in the jail.

I just received an email from critr, telling me I had sent him an email with an attachment. (which I didn't)
I upgraded to Norton 2002 Business Security last night. I found a few little viruses hanging around.

I also got an email from Bob, (which he didn't send) Asking me how I was doing. It had the same virus.

We have an Idea who might be doing this.

Cloaked or not, we believe we have the connections to trace through the phony email addresses. I have also asked my ISP to look into the routing processes. You may be able to change and manipulate your addresses. But you are leaving a trail.

It may take some time, but you can rest assured, you will get what's coming your way.

This is a predator hunting site. We hunt the hunters, or should I say hackers, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW-Stu, This is a deliberate attack. We are all getting email, with different personal subject lines that pertain to us guys in paticular.

I believe that shows that whoever is doing this, is being very deliberate.
I think you get more time behind bars for that, after we are done with you.

I have a very dull skinning knife... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi guys,
I don't post very often but i do try to read all posts. I might be all wrong here,if i am please staighten me out,but if these viruses are forwarding themselves through the address books don't use one .When i first got a puter i got hit with a virus the first week,if i remember right it was the pretty park one i ended up getting it many many times before i i got rid of it. I was told at that time that it spread thruogh the address book . i haven't used one since then and have always asked people not to put me in theirs. Been very lucky as far as viruses go so far.Just a thought. Oh one more thing if these butt munchers would put their talent to good use they might be able to afford a real life

Geez, Craig, sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a nice guy!!!

Saw your post on _untmasters. Wow.... Great response from the powers that be over there!

Oh, well, whatcha gonna do???

The Klez.g and Klez.h worms were responsible for 77.8 percent of all virus infections in April, according to the report.

The Klez.h worm surfaced in mid-April and quickly became one of the fastest-spreading pests to ever hit people's e-mail. British security firm MessageLabs currently lists Klez.h as No. 3 on its all-time virus list, with more than 315,000 infected messages intercepted.

Unlike previous versions of the worm, Klez.h poses an additional privacy threat by snagging documents from infected PCs as it spreads. It also generates randomly selected messages and subject lines for infected e-mail messages, including one variation that poses as a tool for fixing the last major Klez infection, Klez.e.

Security experts have characterized the rapid spread of Klez.h as a sign of lax security measures among corporate and home e-mail users. The worm takes advantage of a vulnerability in Microsoft's Outlook e-mail software, although a patch for the hole has been available for the past year. The worm is also close enough to its predecessor, Klez.g, that any antivirus program updated within the past few months should intercept it.

"The success of Klez.h is strong evidence that computer users are failing to keep their antivirus software up to date," said Stuart Palmer, managing director at Sophos' Australian branch.

While this particular virus does take advantage of some flaws in Outlook and Outlook Express, it normally won't affect any other email programs unless your email address book is in windows...normally. I also am a bit versed in viruses. This particular virus does spoof email addresses in affected computers, taking addresses from an infected computer and emailing the virus using that email address. What it doesn't do is add pertinent subject lines to the email, in other words, "Hey Bob, check out this coyote I took last week!"....it doesn't do that and that's what we're facing with this attack. Just be careful, do not download anything unless you know who it's from, never download a program sent by emaile with the extentions .exe, .pif, .bak or any other number of extentions including .doc and .mpg.

This virus will also remove shortcuts to the virus protection software you're using, renaming or moving the shortcut in your registry files. A removal tool is available through Norton's website at:

Klez Removal Tool

McAfee is:

McAfee Info

AVG is:

AVG Anti-Virus

I have removed the show email function on the board for the time being and a investigation into this is underway.

If you are using an older browser such as IE 5, go to the following link and correct the flaw by downloading this patch.

Patch For Older Versions Of IE 5

If you are using IE 5 with service pack 2, no problem, you're covered. If you are using IE 6, your covered.

Bob if this guys live in San Bernardino County since Randy says you all think you know who it is, let me know, Tackdriver had a good idea.

We have a ComputerTech Crimes Division and I'll start the wheel in motion from my end......

Bob,
AVG says that my computer is infected with 1-Worm/Klez.H, and it is in aol 7.0 download. I ran the Klez removal tool but Symatec says they found no virus in my computer. AVG shows that the worm is still there. Now what the heck do I do?

Back