sentry coyotes

7 Days

Do they stand guard?????
I went up to the Crystal Basin this morning, just North of HWY 50 , here in northern Ca.
Got to some patchy snow before first light and wanted to try a new light that I have been playing with. Walked over the hill from my truck and blew a few screams on the call then began swinging the light to see how the red plastic bag I had taped on was working as a filter. The red bag worked as expected. Then all of a sudden the hill out infront of me lit up with coyote alarm barks. Then the hill to the right answered that they had recieved the warning and were planning on passing the message.
Well I new I had been had and wasn't really surprised since I was just fooling with the new light.
I gave the area about a two hour rest and went several miles up the hill to call for bobcat. When I returned, I made sure to park well out of sight and make as little noise as possible getting into the area. Not 3 minutes into my long walk in, I heard the " sentry" cry of a coyote and then they all started up again. These dogs had to have been 3/4 of a mile away but they picked me off again in a very short time.
Question: Does anyone think they post lookouts or sentrys to warn the others of danger?
There was a whole valley of trees, schrubs and uneven terrain that I tried to use to stay hidden. Plus I had the wind in my face.
Any similar experiences out there?

------------------

They don't post sentrys, per se. However, they all are constantly "on guard" for danger. Even a lone coyote will sound an alarm bark if he gets spooked by something out of the ordinary going on around him. A strange light, smell, or sound that doesn't belong. They don't think about it, they just do it. It's just instinct.

Thanks NASA,
I forgot to mention that after I set off the alarms the second time, I threw a few locator and chalenge barks at them with my howler. After that they shut up for good. I waited mabey 20 min. and never saw or heard another thing.
Experience creates knowledge.

------------------

Do you think maybe they started coming in to check you out? Just because you didn't "see" them doesn't mean they weren't right out there, watching. When you challenged them back, that doesn't usually scare them off. It gets the fur on their neck to stand up and they come in ready for a fight. They could have been circling around you trying to get a scent to see "who" you were. Don't give up. Sounds like you're on the right track.

You were had. Like NASA said, they were probably close to you, heard the truck and 2 hours really isn't that long. Those warning barks will just announce that something no goods happening and they'll bail. They aint dumb by any stretch of the imagination. Ya got to love though.
biggrin.gif

Good Luck and keep hammering away.
Bob

Back