Eastern Coyote/ Western Coyote

Originally Posted By: InsertNameHere
While doing the google search I came across another link that showed the results of a PA coyote hunt. 193 hunters got 19 coyotes.

Last year's results for the same hunt was 57 yotes with about the same # of hunters.

Deep snowpack with a 2" Concrete-Like Crust sure put a dent on this year's results.

Last night on the NTGEO channel they had a great program on the folk singer that was killed last year in Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong over Prince Edwards Island way. Anyway it was called When Coyotes Kill. Had a great break down as to why it happened and also the differences between the eastern and western coyotes both physical and physiological. difference in hunting methods, prey size etc. If you get a chance to check this out, do.

They're harder to kill here because I pass out the Hunting Regulations books to them. Kidding
But, where is the line between Eastern and Western coyotes.

Shayne

I think that swamp is right. There are areas around here that are loaded with coyotes. I have found that hunting around here the time of year also plays a huge factor in where coyotes are located. Over the years, I have found that areas around the lake are loaded with coyotes in the winter time. They seem to like the thick cedar areas close to it. For example, in early fall, during deer season I usually see and hear quite a few coyotes. but as soon as deer season ends they are hardly any to be seen or heard (this is all miles from the lake on my dad's property). But when I hunt close to my house (near the lake) everynight you hear differnet packs howling. Do I call in or kill a coyote on every hunt? Heck NO! I have to cover quite a few pieces of property but when I do get a response, it's usually by more than one pack. (still can't always finish the deal but I am trying!)

For another example when I was recently home on leave my brother took me to some state land that gets absolutely hammered by deer hunters (very few come out with a coyote or even see one) but it was by the lake with some thick cover. We set up near the road because my wifes van wouldn't make it into the parking area and decided to watch the access road that goes through the state land. My brother let out a locator howl and we immediately had a pack open up in front of us, behind us and off to our right, all at various distances. My brother thought that they would make their way down the road behind us so he went to make sure that he could see in that direction. When he got to his spot he let out a female invitation howl that set the woods off in front of me about 70 yds away. You could also hear the pack open up to our right again (way closer than last time) and then I heard a shot by my brother behind me and a lot of swearing (see we screw up way too much!) He had missed a chip shot because his safety was on and by the time he got it off the coyote had seen him move and took off back the way it had came.

So I guess instead rambeling I should get to the point. I am not suggesting that all of the coyotes migrate to the lake but I think that they follow there prey. My dad's property is great during early fall but as soon as the snow hits might as well sit in my living room and call. You have to go where the animal is. I have started carrying rifle (when I am home) in my vehicle with me when I go to town by some of the properties that we hunt, because it isn't uncommon to see a coyote trotting through a field. I learned my lesson the hard way when I was driving to Adams and in the field that my brother and I frequent, there were four coyotes out in the middle of the field heading towards a block of woods four hundred yards in front of them! That's not to say that all of ny is like that but I know that there are quite a few coyotes around my neck of the woods and after years of hunting them we are just now starting to get our success rate up. Just by trial and error.

Ultramag,
I am just going by my own experience, although I have learned that personal experience and many, many dead critters actually means nothing to most people. Yes there may be some wolf DNA in north eastern coyotes as well as red wolf DNA in Texas coyotes and common timber wolf DNA in northern coyotes and dog DNA mixed in all over the country. This doesn't change the way the act and respond to a call in my humble experience. Yes I will say it is harder to kill coyotes in the east. This is not because they are smarter, just because the habitat is a little more difficult to hunt.

drscott

On a side note wolf DNA should make them easier to fool, wolves were almost eradicated and no matter how hard we have tried to get rid of the coyote they have thrived and expanded their range.

Will I was born raised in IL for 46 years than moved to NORTH DAKOTA 5 years ago. Wow what a hunting paradise in ND. Any way IL coyotes are much bigger then in ND. I hunt in quite a few coyote tournements in ND. the big dog contest always is WON by a coyote that weighs about 35 or 36 pounds at the most. I have shot and weighed coyotes in southern IL that weigh around 45 pounds and sure there is bigger ones. From what i seen the last 5 years in ND the ND coyotes are more of a pack animal. always see 2 or 3 at a time fall and winter. Fur is much better in ND, very gray pelt compaired to southern IL. Coyotes are much easier to call in ND. The reason is is gets much colder. this year we have had close to 100 inches of snow, 1st snow storm was nov 2 2011. lots of days -25 below wind chill -40. when you have temps this cold it really makes the coyote hungrey and desperite. remember these cold snaps can last 8 or 9 days before it gets back to 0. When you combine this cold weather with no trees in ND or heavy brush they get hungry enough long enough to come in to a call. Weather, and Cover makes the differnce in these coyotes. marty

Last edited:
Can only speak to the difference having seen coyotes way on top of a ridge in the New Mexico mountains when I was a kid while visiting my mother's home village outside of Silver City -- admittedly, that was decades ago. Seemed then and there coyotes were almost revered for their ability to survive. You'd here them at night with their long lonesome calls while seated around a campfire. Sure ranchers didn't like them, but they apparently were nowhere near the nuisance they are now.

Fast forward four decades to rural NJ on the PA border where I've lived my whole life -- didn't even know we had coyotes until the last four-five years. They're definitely bigger by 15-20 pounds, have more wolf-like features and the color ranges from mixed (Like a German shepherd)to reddish to blackish to brownish. Could easily be mistaken for a stray dog if seen trotting alongside the road at dawn.

I agree there is a huge difference in the terrain -- would just seem easier to conceal oneself within a patch of tumbleweed sand call them afar zero-ing in as they trot across an open desert or plain than it is to call them on hilly overgrown terrain filled with briars and thornbushes and trees and mud and rocks and what-have-you. Your sight range is definitely more limited in the East.

Plus another challenge of hunting Eastern coyotes is that we're more populated with tree-hugging liberals who don't know jack about wild animals and yet make it their mission to "protect" the "poor" creatures. There are also more stringent gun laws, generally speaking, unless, of course, you live in Pennsyl-tucky. ; )

Last edited:
Back