VIRUS ALERT

Just to clarify, when you receive one of these from someone, be it Phantom Calls or a board, you are not actually receiving it from THEM. That is one of the reasons these are so bad. Again, to repeat the good advice from above, NEVER open any file or attachment to an e-mail unless you know exactly what it is.

Bob C.

[This message has been edited by Calypso (edited 07-26-2001).]

I want to confirm that our network was infected by the virus. We are trying to repair the damage. We have been SWAMPED by reply email and cannot reply to email at this time, especially if the message contains a reply with the virus still attached.

Please do not open email with attachments received from Phantom Calls.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this nightmare. The virus was received from a collegue/friend and did not appear to be suspicious. Our Anti Virus software did not catch it. Calypso is right, do not open an attachment unless the email specifies what is attached.

Thank you to all of you who called or emailed the office to warn us that we have a virus problem. We are working on it.

Thanks,
Tasha

Weird, I have found 6 files now labeled W32 sircam.worm. Two are html documents and the other four are gif. files. Norton does not detect a virus and Symantecs downloadable fix says it can find no virus either. Gotta love these PCs (personal confuser).
smile.gif

Remember when some kid in south dakota damaged our predator masters files in some way? That kid was traced and caught. Maybe same method used to trace that kid could be used to trace this wise guy who is posing as a predator masters member and Phantom calls official? I hope so.

Rich, the trouble is that the virus sends itself without your knowledge. I recieved it last semester from a programming instructor I had at Cochose College and I know he didn't send it on purpose. Anyone could have sent the virus to several PM members and it would be impossible (or close to it) to trace to the original source because you would never know which was original. When I got the virus from him MeAfee picked it up and I deleted it so no damage was done to mine but by the time I told him about it he had damage done to his. He got it because his wife opened it and then deleted the e-mail so it wasn't tracable to it's source from there.

I GOT FIX FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!

Go to www.symantec.com and in the bottom lower right hand side you will see "download virus fix" click on that and it will bring you to a page with the w32.sircam.worm@mm virus on the top. Just down load it and the virus is GONE!! I had 4 bad files and 3 registy keys fixed. it all took about 2 minuets to fix. I hope this helps everyone else.
smile.gif

------------------
Timberking

This virus has nothing to dowith PM. The day before Bob posted his warning, my wife had received a warning through her contacts, and forwarded a warning to my computer. When I looked at it, I also had two e-mails from places that I don't ever recall visiting before, but they both had the SirCam virus attachment which I deleted and sent my warning with the symentec website to a friend in Dallas. She wrote right back that one of her friends already had it; as in, infected.

The point I'm making is that it's everywhere. In fact, Bruce posted a warning on Coyote Gods, the same day I got it, and the day before Bob posted his warning. I don't think somebody is after PM or Phantom Calls.

Good hunting. LB

Back