Anthrax Outbreak in South Texas!

Calypso

SAN ANTONIO - As a result of the second reported case of human anthrax infection, health officials are warning South Texas ranchers, hunters and vacationers to avoid contact with dead or sickly looking animals.

Health officials learned late Friday of a second probable case of human anthrax exposure, both in Val Verde County ranch workers. Tests are still under way, but if confirmed, they would be the first human anthrax cases in Texas since 1988, said Julie Rawlings, an epidemiologist with the Texas Department of Health.

Officials say there is little risk of the bacterial illness spreading more widely among people, despite a recent outbreak among livestock.

"The best advice now is that if anybody finds a carcass, they should leave it alone. This is not a good time to be out collecting bones or skulls," said Rick Taylor, a field biologist at the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department's Uvalde office.

Hundreds of deer, and several horses and cattle have died from probable anthrax disease in what health officials are describing as the worst outbreak in two decades.

Confirmed cases have been reported in Val Verde and Uvalde counties, and likely animal deaths have been reported in Bandera, Edwards, Kinney and Real counties.

"I had one client (who) told me he had counted at least 50 on one ranch," said Dr. Cecil Arnim Jr., a Uvalde veterinarian.

The people most likely to encounter infected animals should be familiar with safety precautions because anthrax is endemic to South Texas, Rawlings said.

"The ranchers and Parks & Wildlife employees should know the best way to deal with them is by burning them and to avoid any kind of direct contact, especially if they have any cuts on their skin where they might come in contact with the animals," Rawlings said.

Anthrax is a bacteria sometimes used in biological warfare. It rapidly produces toxins that cause severe damage to the respiratory system and brain. Untreated patients usually die within days.

Animals contract the disease by ingesting spores from the soil.

Human exposure can result from an infected animal's blood or other bodily fluid getting into an exposed cut or abrasion.

In humans, symptoms of the disease usually occur within seven days. Anthrax can cause respiratory failure and death within a week.

Agricultural and wildlife officials said the outbreak already may be winding down and should be over by the time cooler weather and deer-hunting season arrive in the fall.

This brings up an interesting point. Not being a TX,AZ,NM rancher, but a MN rancher-I am somewhat curious.

With all of the trouble in Europe and now South America (Argentina) with Hoof/Mouth, Mad Cow, etc. what really protects us.

I know that the US of A has a ban on imports etc., but does Mexico? Are we assured that the nightly influx of aliens through Mexico of Mexicans, Central and South Americans do not bring the virus and bacteria with them?

Remember earlier that the PETA people stated that they would assist in whatever way, the infection of the beef and hog industry in the US? THis appears to be an opportunity for the domestic terrorists to execute a plan...

Am I out in left field, missing something, paranoid, or what? Any thoughts or comments?

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

[This message has been edited by shotgun (edited 07-12-2001).]

I don't think you're paranoid at all. I think you're an alert and concerned businessman who takes seriously any open threats to his livelihood. Let's keep an eye on PETA's PR promo's for any hint of using illegals as mules for smuggling germ warfare agents into the US.
We seem to have such a difficult time protecting our borders. Does the Border Patrol accept volunteers?

Paranoid? Naw...Anthrax has been around for years and I guess this has been a pretty bad decade for it to pop up. Canada a few years ago had a pretty bad outbreak that killed a bunch of animals and a few people. This stuff can last for years in the topsoil and then the rains come, or a field is disced..it comes to the surface, the animals ingest it and hello....outbreak. Those animals in South Texas need to be burned asap. I hope those guys are careful. I don't believe this is the first time they've had to combat this virus.

Remember those yahoos a few years back that were caught with the Anthrax spores in Vegas?

The volunteers, ranchers in New Mexico/Arizona/Texas have taken some heat lately for their efforts at stopping the tide of illegals entering our borders. I just don't understand it, they have 100's of illegals crossing their land, tearing down fences, trashing the land up and they "don't' have any recourse? Bull Scat. If I had land along the border and I had a bunch of trespassers effing my land up, I'd take action, the hell with the local gov. I wonder how many cases of TB have entered the US by way of the backroads? I'm certainly more fearful of that nasty little disease than an outbreak of Anthrax...but I've had to deal with that before. It's relatively harmless to humans if the proper precautions are met. Now TB is another matter entirely...it can be spread through the air unlike Anthrax in its natural state.

Rant Over....
biggrin.gif

------------------
Bob

Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

Nope...sorry, the Border Patrol doesn't want your help. They would rather you praise them for their illegal road blocks/check points which are "protecting" you from the marauding illegal immigrants. It's the biggest joke going, point blank. I see and deal with them every day...some of the officers have actually agreed with me when I point out they are fifty miles north of the border and they should get the heck on the BORDER where they belong! But none have handed in their badges that I know of. This is as political and beauracratic as it gets, boys. Some of you will get to see first hand when you come to the hunts...when two agents walk up on you in the field during a stand, or when the helicopter buzzes you as that bobcat WAS coming in, you might get a little upset.

The Border Patrol suffers a high rate of corruption and (understandably) job disillusionment...guys thinking they were "helping out" their country soon realize they aren't doing SQUAT to help curb illegal immigration...so many turn to other activities to make a buck...drugs, money laundering and human smuggling for bribes. I can't believe the agency has gotten away with such a continuously FAILING policy. They represent what COULD BE a positive force around here, but their shortcomings are so numerous and entrenched that I fear it will ultimately lead to bad times.

Tom T.

I know what you mean Tom i live 30 miles from the border and deal with the BP. all the time. They are more worried about the lastist high tech toys than illegals.There are some good guys in the BP but most of them are on a power trip. just my 2 cents! Steve

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Back