How to hunt cougar without dogs

Derek0525

I have been wanting to get a cougar for a wile now just not sure of how to really hunt them they made a law a few years back here in Oregon that you can't use dogs for bear or cougar hunting I have only seen 2 with my own eyes out in the woods and heard another scream and growl at me Wich made me about mess my pants and all I had was my bow at the time elk hunting never saw that one but that's the fastest I have ever knocked and arrow and had my bow pulled back. Is there a way to call them in or is it just walk around and maybe run into one?

Rainshadow is the man.

Here is his website.
http://www.rain-shadow.com/

Most of the lions shot here in South Dakota are called in. Even though I have been unsuccessful in well over 200 sets, other people seem to have been able to get them in frequently.

I got my big Tom by glassing south facing sun baked cliffs and hillsides on cold days. I have tracked a couple in fresh snow. Some of my friends have tracked them, some have called them and one got his by sitting over a fresh kill. Hunting lions isn't an easy endeavor. I have learned more about their habits and behaviors by tracking them and have been more successful in seeing them this way. If you do decide to track them, be ready for what could possibly be the roughest, most rugged, gnarliest hike though some of the thickest [beeep] you have ever gone on. Take a GPS and mark where you start because you could possibly end up 15-20 miles from your vehicle by the end of the day. Also make sure you take emergency equipment just in case you have to spend the night. I have never had to spend the night but I have had to climb to the top of a mountain and call someone to pick me up on another highway nearly ten miles away, as the crow flies. I probably walked double that distance following the big tom and I only got one glimpse of him.

Now I am trying to do this with archery equipment, talk about a challenge. Good luck!

Well I managed to call one in yesterday and shot it with my bow at 30 yards. It came in in less that 2-3 minutes. I had to have been on top of it. 80lb 6' 3yr old healthy female. I wasn't using his rainshadows calls, but only because I didn't get them until I got home that day.

It just takes a lot of patience and persistence. Good luck! After listening to his calls, I am itching to get out there and call in more. They sound great.

I've had them come to deer in distress, jack rabbit, coyote challenges with a cottontail, also cow calls.
now if I'd just have one show when i have a tag lol

Originally Posted By: Sean FultonWell I managed to call one in yesterday and shot it with my bow at 30 yards. It came in in less that 2-3 minutes. I had to have been on top of it. 80lb 6' 3yr old healthy female. I wasn't using his rainshadows calls, but only because I didn't get them until I got home that day.

It just takes a lot of patience and persistence. Good luck! After listening to his calls, I am itching to get out there and call in more. They sound great.

Where about were you hunting? I've been out the past 3 days in Pennington north of Pactola and haven't seen anything but tracks lol

Originally Posted By: Sean FultonWell I managed to call one in yesterday and shot it with my bow at 30 yards. It came in in less that 2-3 minutes. I had to have been on top of it. 80lb 6' 3yr old healthy female. I wasn't using his rainshadows calls, but only because I didn't get them until I got home that day.

Nice work man! I am hoping to make it out there next week to do some lion calling myself! I've never attempted to call lions in, but did call one in a few years back in the spring turkey hunting.

Back