ATV's do they scare coyotes away?

Whitetail Hunter

I was thinking about traveling to my different stands by atv. but my atv is kinda loud like all atvs. is it a bad idea to ride your atv to get from location to location?

Done it for years and it works great for me. Park it back from the stand a couple hundred yards or so if possible.

Last edited:
I don't think it will make much of a difference. I drive my pickup to most of my stands. I know they get snowmobile shy around here once the sled crowd starts "hunting."

Nate

Unless they have been chased before by someone on one its likely they won't go too far. the dogs around me are pretty well educated to vehicle sounds. We have many dirt roads and I go about 60ish down them and see dogs a couple hundred yards out. Depending on where I am I'll just turn off the road dukes of hazzard style and run them down shotgun style from the window.

Last edited:
Real sporting there Cody01! Maybe you should join a run coyotes down with their ATV forum instead of a coyote calling forum. We get enough bad press around here as it is.

Cody, all it takes is one time to get busted then you'll look at things differently. I shot a bird with a wrist rocket while I was out fishing a few years ago. Got busted, went to court, stressed out for a few months payed a fine and helped out at a weekend youth camp.
Not a fun summer, but I coulda lost my licence for 5 years and had a stiffer fine, with jail time.
Didn't seem like that big a deal at the time, but G&F don't put up this kind of crap.
BE CAREFUL DUDE..IT'S NOT WORTH IT, FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT ENJOYS THIS GREAT SPORT.

Josh

I wondered this same thing the other day. I've been given permission to hunt this cattle farm, and it's big enough and hilly enough that making several stands while walking it, would be tough. The owner said that I could use my ATV, so I took it out there two days ago (just scouting) and refamiliarized myself with the lay of the land and the fencelines and such.

While riding around that day, I just wondered if the coyotes would be bothered by me when I returned to hunt it sometime?!? The owner does most of his cattle checks and other chores while using his John Deere Gator, so I'd guess that the coyotes wouldn't be too worried about an atv?!?!

Hmm....

have called in a many of coyotes while sitting on 4-wheeler. that is how we (2 hunting buddies + myself) do most of our coyote hunting. have even built a shooting rest on one of the ATV's.

A fellow named Soreloser used to post here from So Cal. He had a video showing his caller sitting on a rock calling.. some ATV riders came ripping by. A few minutes later a coyote came in. I think they get used to them if they dont equate them with danger Id bet they would be ok.

I have trouble walking on rough ground, so I ride my ATV to alot of areas and walk the last few hundred yards. The yotes never seem to have a problem with any noise and they come to the caller.

I use an ATV on the ranch so it works great for me.

Cody01, I can see you are kidding, but pickup running coyotes in KS is legal. Lots of guys actually do that, usually in groups with radios. They are starting to get in trouble for it more now. Farmers are starting to get fed up with them.

Last edited:
I haven"t noticed a differenence in between using an ATV or my truck in traveling in between stands or hunting areas. (Other than my truck is a lot warmer!)

I have a Polaris 700 Sportsman. It is probably average as far as noise. Right before Christmas I purchased a silencer for it from http://www.uniqueoutdoorproducts.com/atvsilencer.asp. It made a huge difference. Of course there is still the tire noise and engine noise, but the exhaust noise is majorly reduced. I have quite a few properties that I can take my Polaris on. The farmers there also use their ATV's and side-by-sides like a Ranger to check fences, feed cattle, etc. I think that the coyotes are really used to many of these farm noises.

I think it makes a lot of difference on how much vehicle noise the coyotes are accustomed to. I hunt some farmland close to the river where all kind of vehicle traffic is common. I don't think the coyotes pay much attention to the noise. On the other hand, I also call a lot out in the badlands where it is rare for them to hear vehicles except during big game season. Out in the hills, I sure seem to have a lot better luck when I walk farther away from the pickup or ATV. I don't think the noise scares them out of the area but I think it lets them know that someone is in the area and maybe they are a little less comfortable to come to a call.

Back