NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG17 pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards was their AVERAGE, not one lucky shot. So they say... See quote above.

Kinda like a lot of the light guys,saying such-such lights id-ing animals at 250yds and further.

Originally Posted By: 870 Shell ShuckerThe claim of 17 pellets in 10" at 70 yards is either a total load of crap, or there was one magic shell that did it, never to be duplicated again.

I patterned 3" Winchester Supreme HV 1300fps 1.75 Ounce #5 Lead Turkey loads at 35, 40, 45, and 50 yards. Remington 870, with Indian Creek .665 choke. 50 Yards is no problem as far as the pattern is concerned, but I'd probably recommend #4 Lead over #5 Lead out past 40 yards for Coyotes.

Turkey loads probably kill as many coyotes as buckshot does.

I'm interested in how many coyotes you personally have killed with turkey loads? The ranges shot from, load and choke, and results would be interesting.

Hey GC...that question may make for an interesting thread in itself.
Ive personally killed 5 or 6 coyotes while turkey hunting. Geesh..I change shotguns as much as I change my underwear though...but for the most part over the last few years Ive been using a SBE2 with Rhino choke and # 6's. Starting with Winchester lead and now using Heviblend stuff now. Max range 38 yards with the yote facing me and it was DRT using the Win high velocity lead stuff. Admittedly, it was a small one though, about 25-30 lbs. Most of my shots have been much closer though and even larger dogs have dropped in their tracks.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: 870 Shell ShuckerThe claim of 17 pellets in 10" at 70 yards is either a total load of crap, or there was one magic shell that did it, never to be duplicated again.

I patterned 3" Winchester Supreme HV 1300fps 1.75 Ounce #5 Lead Turkey loads at 35, 40, 45, and 50 yards. Remington 870, with Indian Creek .665 choke. 50 Yards is no problem as far as the pattern is concerned, but I'd probably recommend #4 Lead over #5 Lead out past 40 yards for Coyotes.

Turkey loads probably kill as many coyotes as buckshot does.

I'm interested in how many coyotes you personally have killed with turkey loads? The ranges shot from, load and choke, and results would be interesting.

I killed one with fed #5 3" turkey loads at 25 yards once. First shot dropped him second shot dropped him third shot again dropped him fourth shot got him to stop from trying to get up, after that I walked over to him and bashed him with a large rock to kill him. Shot placements were 1 in the ribs, 2 in the neck and one to the head and still was trying to get away.

What CG is saying is guys that claim I shoot all my coyotes with 4-5-6 shot most likly only have shot a couple.

Trust me I shot all kinds of loads in the field at yotes and 4,5 and 6 shot have no place out there.

Do yourself and the coyote a favor and go with 2 or bb shot and bigger.

For me a good coyote load has to be able to breakdown or drop a coyote that is facing away from me at 40 yards. Coyotes are not always facing me when I shoot at them.

When I first tried killing coyotes with a shotgun I was using Federal Premium 3" lead copper coated 2's and lead copper coated BBs that I had from goose hunting. The coyotes that were shot with the 2's at bad angles would run off, even at 30 yards.

The copper coated BB loads would break the coyotes down and stop them. One lead BB pellet weighs almost twice as much as one #2 lead pellet weighs.

I don't want to hunt coyotes with loads that will only kill them with head shots at 40 yards and less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI It says right on the manufacturer's site...

"Devastating patterns... up to 70 yards.

Testing produced an AVERAGE of 17 lethal T pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards."

You guys are over looking sumtin....

Doesn't say how many shots it takes to get 17 lethal pellets in a 10" @ 70.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: GCI'm interested in how many coyotes you personally have killed with turkey loads? The ranges shot from, load and choke, and results would be interesting.
I've killed three myself (in front of hounds) with regular #4 shot. We used to run fox with my dad's hounds when I was younger, that was before coyote really became so numerous. That was in the early 90's. Our typical shell was a 3" #4 copperplated load. The three coyote I killed were about 40yds,40yds and 25yds respectively. One required two shots to put down.
Now we use #4 buck or Dead Coyote shotshells as far as coyote are concerned. I've been using heavyweight BB loads where there is an equal chance of a fox/yote showing up with some success as well.

Quote:I'm interested in how many coyotes you personally have killed with turkey loads? The ranges shot from, load and choke, and results would be interesting.

What I'm saying, is that Turkey Hunetrs, who happen to be hunting Turkeys at the time, kill a lot of Coyotes with Turkey Loads, because that is what they have loaded in their shotguns at the time. Most Turkey hunters also don't care if they are able to retrieve the animal for the pelt. Dead right there, dead in the thicket, whatever. They shoot every Coyote they see while Turkey hunting. Thus my claim that Turkey Loads probably kill as many Coyotes as Buckshot does.

Could you not read my last post whithout getting all fuzzed up?

Originally Posted By: 870 Shell ShuckerQuote:I'm interested in how many coyotes you personally have killed with turkey loads? The ranges shot from, load and choke, and results would be interesting.

What I'm saying, is that Turkey Hunetrs, who happen to be hunting Turkeys at the time, kill a lot of Coyotes with Turkey Loads, because that is what they have loaded in their shotguns at the time. Most Turkey hunters also don't care if they are able to retrieve the animal for the pelt. Dead right there, dead in the thicket, whatever. They shoot every Coyote they see while Turkey hunting. Thus my claim that Turkey Loads probably kill as many Coyotes as Buckshot does.

Could you not read my last post whithout getting all fuzzed up?

I'm not quite sure how to respond to you now. You were recommending turkey loads for 40+ yard coyotes so I wondered what your actual experiences were with that. Mine have been pretty dismal with about a dozen called coyotes shot with 3” magnum loads of plated/buffered lead #4 turkey loads. And most of those were much closer to 30 yards than the 40+ yards you reference in your post. This is a predator hunting website; we hunt predators by choice not coincidence and strive to make clean humane kills and a quick recovery of our quarry. I guess I don’t understand a lot of things but this stuff interests me immensely and I always want to listen and learn from others experiences and compare that to my own to help me personally improve my hunting success and experience. Thus the question I asked about what you had seen with coyotes you had personally shot with the loads and at the ranges you were recommending. But evidently you haven’t actually done any of that so now according to you I guess that makes me “fuzzed up.”

Originally Posted By: GC
This is a predator hunting website; we hunt predators by choice not coincidence and strive to make clean humane kills and a quick recovery of our quarry. I guess I don’t understand a lot of things but this stuff interests me immensely and I always want to listen and learn from others experiences and compare that to my own to help me personally improve my hunting success and experience.

thumbup.gif

Quote:This is a predator hunting website; we hunt predators by choice not coincidence and strive to make clean humane kills and a quick recovery of our quarry.

You are so considerate of the predator's feelings about the whole process of being shot. It's a predator that eats baby turkeys, among other things, and I don't consider it a trophy. It doesn't care how I feel about it eating baby turkeys, and I don't care how it feels about being busted up by a heavy turkey load. If I find him, good. If I don't find him, but he dies anyway, good. It's more of a target of opportunity.

Now if I am specifically trying to kill coyotes, I use Buckshot. But they don't get a pass during Turkey season either.

You are right, I am considerate of anything I hunt and whenever I make a decision to take an animals life I do so very carefully and with a plan to make that kill as humane as possible. The difference between me and the coyote is I have the ability to think clearly and use logical reasoning along with a conscience I must live with. Guess I'm just not as mad at coyotes as you are to have that "kill 'em all at any expense" attitude.

I tested the Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube with 3" Heavy Shot Dead Coyote T shot at 25, 30, 40, and 50 yards. Their advertising is pure BS. Up to 70 yards my ***!

25 and 30 yards is devistating.
40 yards is acceptable.
50 yards is pushing the limits.

Just not enough pellets in that load!

The BB loadings offer more pellets with enough energy when pushing 50+ yards. Try the federal BB 3" lead or federal heavyweight coyote BB.

Not sure if it has been posted on here but all of the tungsten loads are discontinued. No more wingmaster HD which really sucks cuz it patterns so nice! Now it is just the federal heavyweight or dead coyote and all the others are discontinued due to rising tungsten prices. Can't really use lead in my part of CA so I don't have any options and it sucks.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Just not enough pellets in that load!

The BB loadings offer more pellets with enough energy when pushing 50+ yards. Try the federal BB 3" lead or federal heavyweight coyote BB.

Not sure if it has been posted on here but all of the tungsten loads are discontinued. No more wingmaster HD which really sucks cuz it patterns so nice! Now it is just the federal heavyweight or dead coyote and all the others are discontinued due to rising tungsten prices. Can't really use lead in my part of CA so I don't have any options and it sucks.

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-HD-Ultimate-Home-Defense-Shotshells-12-Gauge/product/10215215/44043

Buy a bunch of these loads TripleDeuce660, they will work better than steel and they are cheaper than steel.

Back