Should I Full Length Size Brand New Brass?

BlueDevil

What is everyone's recommendations when it comes to full length sizing brand new unfired and unprimed brass? I was thinking of full length sizing them first before actually loading them up for the first time. They will only be used out of one rifle. Just curious what everyone else does? Thanks!

P.S. The brass is 22-250 Lapua.

All my new brass gets the FL treatment to insure the necks are right and removes any dents. I also de-burr the out/inside of said necks.

Originally Posted By: 5spdAll my new brass gets the FL treatment to insure the necks are right and removes any dents. I also de-burr the out/inside of said necks.

That's what I do too.

I neck size it only, check the primer pocket and flash holes then load it below max to fire form it. Then I full size and bump the shoulder back .003 or .004 for my semi autos.

I FL size my new brass.. The necks need to be uniformed and chamfered as well as the other case prep mentioned.

Originally Posted By: 5spdAll my new brass gets the FL treatment to insure the necks are right and removes any dents. I also de-burr the out/inside of said necks.

Always resize new brass!

Originally Posted By: GCI size and uniform all new brass.

Me too. I size, deburr flash holes, and uniform primer pockets on all new brass. I try to make it all as close to the same as I can. Seems to work really well. A little work but I do not care. Seems to help make the groups nice and tight. Plus I can elminate a few factors and narrow stuff down to the powder, primer, or bullet as what I need to change if I know all my brass is as close to the same as I can make it..

Todays brass is so undersized I don't know what good it would do. Debur
the flash hole and necks , a lee collet neck sizer if I see one out of round.
Been doing it for 35 years and still get some of my best groups from new
brass. Until it's fired formed what is the point? To check it? Your eyes can
see .001 differences in the neck roundness.

I am confused here. I thought that one of the selling points of Lapua is they are flash hole and primer pocket uniformed at the factory.

I did not notice the Lapua part of his post but even so you need to size the mouth to get the packaging/shipping dents out. But like bigwheeler, I do not Full size new brass; neck size only.

Neck size only. Do not full length size it. Let it fireform to your chamber, by full length sizing you are forming the brass to the die size and not your guns chamber.

Originally Posted By: Rem513sNeck size only. Do not full length size it. Let it fireform to your chamber, by full length sizing you are forming the brass to the die size and not your guns chamber.

what he said.

Back