22-250 loads???

Sorry, I've never shot anything heavier than 50 grain in my 22-250s, with 1/12 and 1/14 twist. I never could get any vmaxes to shoot like a nosler ballistic tip either. My rifles just don't like hornady.

Here is load info from the hodgdon/imr/winchester reloading data site.

55 GR. SPEER SP
IMR 8208 XBR
min 32.0 grains
max 35.8

My 22-250 shoots crazy accurate with H380, but as mentioned, it is VERY temp sensitive. I have been lucky that my groups remain accurate as the temp changes, just the POI changes. So, I just sight in my rifle at temps around 20 degrees and it is good for what I use it for which is shooting coyotes in temps 20 degrees and colder.

I have thought about switching powders to alleviate the temperature issues, but every time I shoot bugholes at 200 yards with my current load, I convince myself I would be wasting my time...

I have loaded quite a bit of IMR 4320 in a 22-250. I can't recall the charge, but in 2 different rifles with 50 gr and 55 gr bullets, I have never had a complaint. It is not the fastest, but it is still less expensive powder, doesn't take too many grains, and it seems to shoot well in all conditions i have exposed it to. I agree that Hornady bullets haven't provided as good of performance as the sierras and noslers. I never understood that, Hornady sells tons of bullets and if they are sub-par, people wouldn't buy them, but I haven't had as good of accuracy out of hornady. The only loads I've ever seen tumble were 50 gr hornady SP in a 223. I have had good luck with hornady from a 270 however. good elk bullets, but not impressed with varmint bullets.

My rem. sps with 1-14 twist really likes 34.0 gn of Varget, CCI 200 primers, Win brass, and 55gn Hdy FMJ-BT's equals sub-moa and they are cheap (inexpensive=$15/100) bullets that are easy on hides. For rapid expansion, it likes 55gn Nosler Ballistic Tips pushed by 36.7gn of W760 with same brass and primers. All I can reccomend is to keep searching for the one your guns likes, my friend has identical gun and our guns prefer different powder/bullet combos.

I LIKE H380 powder but it never shoots the smallest groups in any .22-250 rifle i have about 38 gr. W760 and a 52 or 53 gr. sierra shoots alot better group sizes.

I shoot 36.9 gr. of Reloader 15 and a 50 grain VMax. This is a bit over max per Hornady and a bit under max per Hodgdon, so work up

Back