Your Side Arm of Choice?

ToCatchAPredator

Hello fellow bow hunters,

I'm interested in seeing what everyone carries for protection when they bow hunt. Last year I took a .22 s&w revolver but i really didnt feel too safe to say the least if I encountered a bear or mountain lion.

What's your side arm of choice?

Frank P.

Last edited:
I used to carry a 357 until I had an encounter with a bear. Now I carry a 44mag and its not big enough if you have a griz the size of a sherman tank standing infront of you.
I think the best choices are
(1) RPG
(2) Scuba tank filled with bear spray.

I carry Colt King Cobra 357. I load 2400 powder compressed loads with a 110 grain hollow point and they work fantastic. I have shot deer with mine but then again no bear. If they are as big as a Sherman Tank I am in deep doodoo. But then again I will try and let him eat a couple of 110 grain rounds first unless he sneaks up on me before I can shoot, then I will just crap my pants and he can have my colt.

Kinda. I was charged by a bull moose but was able to climb a tree, so no shots fired. However, the next day we had to put a shot between the antlers of a bull moose to keep him from violating our horses. Yelling and waving didn't faze him.

If bowhunting, is it legal to carry a firearm? I carry a sidearm everyday, don't get me wrong I support our 2nd, but I also think that mr. Warden could get you with this technicality if he desired to play hard ball.

I don't carry a sidearm while bowhunting here in New York, but there isn't anything that'll get me other than maybe a sasquatch...I haven't saw any of those yet.

I don't bow hunt but I carry the 10mm glock as a sidearm. The key is its light weight relative to recoil and firepower. A 44 mag is better in bear country if you can shoot it well but I just flinch like a girl and they are heavy.

If I was to do it again I think I would get a the G-29 and put on an extended barrel. The reason is the large grip gets in the way when sitting down or in the chest holster. Of course 2 fingers on the grip and full power 10mm must be hard to shoot straight.

It's legal to carry while Bowhunting if you have a CCW permit here in Ohio. I carry my Kimber Ultra Covert 45. I occasionally have a run in with wild dogs chasing deer. The handgun is much more effective than the Bow in most cases.

Not legal in Iowa to carry when bowhunting unless there is a firearm season for deer that is open at that same time. IE early or late season muzzy. And the firearm needs to be allowed in that firearm season. IE early season muzzy the handgun needs to be a muzzy loading pistol. Does not bother me I usually have enough broadheads that I feel safe.

Originally Posted By: ArrowStarIt's legal to carry while Bowhunting if you have a CCW permit here in Ohio. I carry my Kimber Ultra Covert 45. I occasionally have a run in with wild dogs chasing deer. The handgun is much more effective than the Bow in most cases.

Yep, but not allowed to use it for anything else other then personal protection is my understanding.
BTW where at in ohio are you seeing pigs.

I carry a glock 23 typically

Back