Howling for coyotes

Thanks fellas. Im most deffinantly going to give this a try. What about were I located those yotes the other day. If I go back there will they still be there?

i hear them howl right at dusk, and sometimes in the middle of the night, havent heard them howl too much in the morning. the coyotes ive been hearing usualy howl in the same direction every night, maybe a couple hundred yards off at a time. should be able to call them down a hill over another and threw the woods into the field were my distress calls are! ha

had one come in from behind me the otherday

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamThanks fellas. Im most deffinantly going to give this a try. What about were I located those yotes the other day. If I go back there will they still be there?
MAYBE Depending on whether they are where they like to den-up, or just one of thier hunting spots. For instance we have a pack that hunts the airstrip close to our house, but not every night. Coyotes can have several hunting spots, and rotate from one to another every few nights. They may not be there when you go, but could be the next night, or next week.

Is it better to howl earlier in the year, or to use distress? Seems to me that howling would be kind of aggressive towards the pups..Maybe just use pup howls?

When my brother and I howl we usually start off with a locator howl and if nothing happens we answer ourselves with a younger coyote howl. If that doesn't work we'll do a coyote seranade together using our mouth calls (sounds pretty cool!). If we do get a pack to answer us we try and listen to see if there is a dominate male howling with them. That's when we challenge him....usually, he'll challenge back and we'll get into a pissing contest with each other for about five minutes or so. We stop calling when he stops calling cause by that point he is usually moving in.
We've waited as long as a half an hour before seeing anything. I think that the trick is to pique his curiosity and then shut up. If he/she stil hasn't shown up we'll challenge each other (the callers). One will play the dominant male and the other an upstart young male. After we do that I'll chime in with some ky-yis an make it sound like the young one got his butt kicked. That usually brings him in. It's pretty cool watching a big 'ol male coyote coming in with his hair all bristled up!
Hope this helps somebody!

Have a ?? for ya on here I was out tonight 12-28-2010 around 1630hrs just doing some interrogation calls you know the long howl that tapers off at the end anyway I made about 4 howls I was back about 1 mile on a state game lane road and I heard two yips way off in the distance out in front of me then I made 2 more howls and I started to here this whinny whimper sound from the same place I had heard the yips from. Then the whimper sound was off to my right but closer and then behind me and even closer... Anyone have any idea what this was I was thinking a female but have yet to get a coyote to talk back to me... Oh very green to coyote hunting....

Thanks Joe Danville PA

Police01,

Not 100 percent certain, but that whimper sound you heard sounds like Foxpro's "Female coyote Whimper". Your lonesome howls are very good to use all year around. I see way too many posts where guys are playing every coyote recording they have out there on one stand. With howling, it is important to sound natural if you know what I mean.

My next ?? would have to be while howling I find sometimes the call will break up and I will get kinda I call it the pubescent coyote is this ok ?? I feel maybe I am wrong but not everything in life is perfect so I don't think every coyote makes a perfect howl every time.... Please correct me if I am wrong in thinking this....

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkNot 100 percent certain, but that whimper sound you heard sounds like Foxpro's "Female coyote Whimper".

Yep, probably some yoyo with a Foxpro caller hiding in the bushes just screwing with ya.
lol.gif

"don't think every coyote makes a perfect howl every time."
------------------------------------------------------
You are correct Mr. Police. I have heard some pretty pathetic howls that were made by real coyotes. If I get a sour note when I howl, I try to follow it up with another howl and hope it sounds better this time.
wink.gif

Thanks for the tips Rich... The howls are being done by my buddy's Foxpro Spitfire now and sometimes I will sit off in the distance and howl back to him or he will play rabbit or fawn distress and I will howl and bark... So far no kills or even sight of coyote but we are thinking just keep hitting the site at different times we have seen fox and coyote tracks in the area... Thinking of throwing out a road kill as a bait pile... Hey new to this any info is AWESOME!!!!!

Tried 3 different spots tonite w/ my Flextone on Female Howl. 1st spot nothing. 2nd spot was a hit. I let it go through one sequence and waited about 2 minutes and nothing. Fired it up for 2 more sequences and waited. All of a sudden I heard 2 howl back and then started the barking. I don't how many it was but it almost sounded like 5 so I will just assume it was maybe 3 of them. I didn't howl back, I just let them be. This is a good sign for me. I have been scouting a few areas for 3 weeks and made a few hunts and nothing. I have seen plenty of scat and tracks and had a set narrowed down to where I thought they were. Seems like I was right and I found them tonite. Now I gotta figure out how I am going to attack them. I am starting to get frustrated. Other than calling in a gray fox I haven't had any luck. I am enjoying learning from this forum though. Thanks guys.

When I hit the links above all I get is different types of educational sourses. Why could'nt they have just taught us abought predator hunting in school instead of some of the bull they tried to.

Well, i've just started calling for coyotes this past december. my calling has been basically just limited to distress. Last evening was my first real attempt at howling. I started with a couple of howls, waited 3min, then gave a female invite call. It was probably 1-2min later he appeared 300yrds away. Now my question is, did he show up from the howling or the female invite howl? Oh, and he did not respond back just showed up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: savagesupersniperWell, i've just started calling for coyotes this past december. my calling has been basically just limited to distress. Last evening was my first real attempt at howling. I started with a couple of howls, waited 3min, then gave a female invite call. It was probably 1-2min later he appeared 300yrds away. Now my question is, did he show up from the howling or the female invite howl? Oh, and he did not respond back just showed up.
-------------------------------------------
Well I guess you will never know which howl he came in to, but he did come in to your howling. Good job!

Fantastic thread! I became interested in howling after giving it a try this past Thanksgiving break. I was using a rabbit in distress while night hunting and called in a fox (never got a shot). I was about to move stands when I thought I would give howling a try with a red dawg howler/crier. Never tried it before and wanted to give it a whirl. There was an immediate response of some local coyotes (and nearby ranch dogs). They responded a couple of times then quit. This thread has been a gem, full of info. Excited to get back out with new info and much practice in a few weeks.

Thanks,
WMR

Back