Cedar City, Beaver, Fillmore Utah coyote action

Truth be told, my uncle is a grouchy old dog and has never allowed me to hunt with him. Probably is afraid I'd screw it up for him. I did have a great mentor though. The late Kerry Austin, my father. He died much too young at 47 years old. That was 13 years ago and I still have regrets about not paying closer attention to his calling technique when he was still alive. I always thought he'd be around to hunt with me. I hunt with him in spirit every stand now.

Well, my friend had to back out for the weekend so I hit the slots in Vegas with my family. I have not hunted coyotes for 2 years and have found that the areas that I used to have good luck are totally worthless any more. I took my friend out a couple weeks ago for 2 days and made 16 stands with no luck. I hear about teenagers going out at night with a spotlight playing electronic calls and shooting from the trucks.... I have actually had kid tell me this is how you hunt coyotes, they do it several times a month. I have some totally awesome stands I would hit once or twice a month that now have roads [beeep] near right to where I would sit.

It's time for me to look at new areas to hunt, that takes time and money.. Looks like I will have to shell out more of both.

It might be time to add to the bag of tricks and start using a decoy dog to maximize my efforts. Until then I think i will hit some of the southern area for a try in the next couple weeks. And Workman, I do plan on entering the Sampete hunt if I can get my partner to commit to me.

Back