K E of arrow

I got 365fps reading with my chroni at 82 yds, and a guy said he didnt't believe it, so I went out again and at 85 yds I got 353.9fps! So I think my crossbow at 80yds blows even a PSE out of the water at 20yds! This thing is wicked, and very accurate! I only wish I could have stalked one buck this fall, last fall we saw 30-45 bucks, this fall I saw 4, and they were fork horns at best.
Thanks for ke info, I don't have the formula for it.

Last edited:
The formula for Kinetic Energy is:

weight X velocity X velocity(again) divided by 450,240

But,

Quote:
Kinetic energy is NOT the correct unit of measure for calculating ANY of the forces relevant to penetration...
Kinetic energy does not enter directly into any of the calculations relating to penetration.

Kinetic energy does not enter directly into any of the calculations relating to penetration. THE KINETIC ENERGY CARRIED BY AN ARROW AT IMPACT HAS NO DIRECT BEARING ON ITS ABILITY TO PENETRATE.

There is much more that goes into penetration.

From the mouth of Dr. Ed Ashby himself.

I guess it gets you close enough though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tactical .20I got 365fps reading with my chroni at 82 yds, and a guy said he didnt't believe it, so I went out again and at 85 yds I got 353.9fps! So I think my crossbow at 80yds blows even a PSE out of the water at 20yds! This thing is wicked, and very accurate! I only wish I could have stalked one buck this fall, last fall we saw 30-45 bucks, this fall I saw 4, and they were fork horns at best.
Thanks for ke info, I don't have the formula for it.

so this is a crossbow not a regular bow im guessing! crossbows are usualy pretty fast and a good crossbow is usually alot faster than a compound.

It is the Scorpyd SLP 165 crossbow from IA, it is supposed to be 425fps, with my arrows I get 400-409 at the bow.
In the PSE ballistic gel penatration tests, as seen on utube, they I assume shot the same arrows for the different bows. The PSE sank an inch further in the gel set at 60lbs, the other bows were at 70lbs. The other bows had 65lbs of ke, and the PSE had 80-90lbs. The Montec G5 broadheads should be a good broadhead for penatration. They fly perfectly at 400fps, the bow manufacturer said I would need a Stinger type to fly good, love those Montecs!

Last edited:
Back