6x45 bullet for deer?

sigpros

Thanks to a member on here I have a 6x45 upper on the way for my wife to use deer hunting this year. What bullet should I go with? I have some 85gr nosler partitions, 85gr seirra gk, 95gr nosler bt's. What bullet should I use? Any of these or I can buy something new. Let me know what you think.

Of those my first choice to try would be the Sierra GK always seem to get good accuracy and they will do the job just fine.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760+1 on 85 SGK Another +1
I've shot a lot of deer with this Sierra 85gr HPBT GK
If I do go after deer with my 6x45 I will use this bullet again.

I load both the 85 SGKHP & 95G NBT for my 6x45 Savage bolt gun. They shot just as well in the 6x45 AR I had also.
My next Antelope will be with the 85g bullet as I already took one with the 95 NBT.

Looks like the game king wins. Next what powder and where can I find the trim length,and overall length for this round? My search foo sucks

I use H335 in the 85/95 loads and AA2015 in the 65/70 gr loads.
Trim to 1.750" just like the .223 case.
COL will depend on your magazine & chamber. All mine are at 2.280" to fit in my Savage SA magazine. I can go longer ONLY if I single load, but don't/won't.

I have h322 and w760 on hand. I can get different bullets if I need too. The seirra is my top choice since it is shooting so good out of my 243 and I can get them in bulk at the factory. My friend uses hornady 75gr HP's out of his 243 on deer. I can get what ever powder I need too since I need to pick some stuff up for the 7mag anyway. H335 or varget look pretty good. My wife is really liking the idea of hunting with the AR this year. I will get the supplies and can't wait to get this thing running when my stuff gets here.

I would use 85 g. Nosler Partitions, thats what Mike @ Dtech told me he uses. This was 85 grain HPBT SIerra's during load work up with 24 grains of Varget @ 100 from a 16" barrel.
SDC11111.jpg

The 85 grain Partion expands well even at lower speed.

That load looks real good to me MPFD. Guess I need to pick up some varget. The loads with the H322 I have don't look too bad either. Might load up some of those to try too since I have it on hand. Of course the load data I am looking at is for 24" barrels so I should lose some off the fps with the 18" AR. Still should put a deer down at 150 yards. We are hunting some new ground about 3 hours away so probally be trying it out on the first fat doe that walks by.

Last edited:
Those are both min loads, you can start there and work up. Might get better groups might get worse, but an 18" barrel is plenty for 6x45. I used a 70 g. Sierra HPBT @ about 2800 fps. from my 18" last year on a doe, DRT. The bullet didn't exit, I like it when they absorb all the engery. They don't run as far...:p

sigpros,

What load did you end up using? I have an 18" BHW 3P barrel and am looking for an 85 grain Nosler Partition load that isn't temperature sensitive. H322 has worked well for me with 55gr - 80gr bullets but isn't very accurate with the Partitions. It's the only powder I have on hand to use with the 6x45 so if anyone has any other powder suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
jmak

I'd start with 23 grains of AA2015 and a 85 grain bullet and work up if you wanna use something heavier.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI'd start with 23 grains of AA2015 and a 85 grain bullet and work up if you wanna use something heavier.

Thanks MPFD,
Isn't AA2015 pretty sensitive to temperature? I'm looking for a powder that isn't sensitive to temp.

I shot it all summer with no ill effects. It may have a slight POI change in big temp swings but I can assure you that its not enough to affect a shot at a deer out to 250 yards...

I can't get AA2015 locally, I can only get Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders. Anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone use H4895?

Thanks,
jmak

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmakI can't get AA2015 locally, I can only get Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders. Anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone use H4895? Thanks, jmak

I'd get H335 then.
24.3g H335, 85g Sierra GK HP, 24" bbl will give you 2818 fps & .400"-.950" @ 100 yds
24.1g H335, 95g NBT hunting bullet gives me 2675 fps & .550" @ 100 yds

I have only used AA2015 & H335 in the 6x45 with great results.

Thanks 5spd. I know H335 is a popular choice so I think I will try that and just deal with the temperature issues. I think I read somewhere that it is really only an issue above 80 degrees and it never gets that high here during deer season so I may not see any issues at all.

Back