best rimfire for coyotes

Well my chair better be upwind from doggin', and at least 10' away. He usually doesn't shower till spring. He's gotta keep that coyote smell going till he's done hunting coyotes this winter.

Thats 4, any more?

Ok, who's gonna play guitar? I don't know how.

I haven't heard anything from Chupa in awhile. I hope he didn't get brainwashed at the store.

Originally Posted By: Cal KelloggFirst a disclaimer....I haven't shot 100 coyotes, kissed Jennifer Lopez or arm wrestled Chuck Norris...Or even Chuck Hawks for that matter so my thoughts don't count for much, but here I go anyway....

I looked up the ballistics for 22 mags and I found that a 40 grain slug has about 325 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

I looked up the 30/30...when using a 150 grain bullet it generates 1737 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

Few dispute the fact that the 30/30 is a stone cold killer on deer when placed properly from the muzzle out to 150 yards....If we said the average deer shot with a 30/30 was 170 pounds, we could point to the ballistics chart and say that the foot pounds of energy that a 30/30 generates at the muzzle is roughly 10 times the average weight of the animals it kills cleanly....

If we apply this same logic to the 22 mag you could make the case that within the proper range and with proper placement that the 22 is appropriate for game that weighs 10% of the energy the cartridge generates at the muzzle...If the muzzle energy is 325 foot pounds, that would point to an animal weighing 32.5 pounds....That weight range would include both coyotes and bobcats...

Shot placement and not stretching the range would seem to be the keys to successfully using a 22 mag, just as the same factors are key when using a 30/30 for deer....

Whoa there, that makes to much sence. Someone delete this post. ADam

Originally Posted By: VaughanWeres chupa been?

Originally Posted By: gonzagaOk, who's gonna play guitar? I don't know how.

I haven't heard anything from Chupa in awhile. I hope he didn't get brainwashed at the store.

I'm still here. I've just been busy out calling,work and school stuff. Now that I have two good legs to carry me around I'm not at home as much to post alot. Plus, the garbage I hear from customers all day leaves me with little desire to debate firearm/hunting related topics when I get home. Let's just say that I'll never complain about idiots BEHIND the counter anymore.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: born2climbI'm new to this forum, having stumbled upon it yesterday, but this topic is one that interests me greatly. I keep a .22 magnum above the front door to dispatch varmints. it has taken armadillos, foxes, coyotes, skunks, groundhogs and crows.
At one time, I could ring my steel plates at 250 yards with it. Granted it doesn't have much "oomph" at that range, but I consider it adequate to 150 yards, with proper bullet placement.

I killed this one two weeks ago this morning. It came out of the woods right in front of my 100-yard target. I dropped it in its tracks at 95 yards with a frontal chest shot.

IMG_1004.jpg

born2climb,

Nice coyotes. What kind of .22 mag do you have? Ammo you shooting? And what kind of accuracy at 100 do you get out of it?

It looks like I'll be buying a .22 mag. It seems it has an edge in killing power over the .17hmr on bobcats and yotes. Once bobcat and fox season are over here, I'll get the .223 back out. Bobcat and fox start in December.

Plus, I have one more concern that may lead me to take the .22 mag on certain hunts - when one of my daughters go with me. My 4 yr old went with me this morning after I finished deer hunting. I practiced with her covering her ears when I said, "Cover your ears", but I'm concerned that she won't do it sufficiently. I don't want the blast from the .223 to damage her hearing nor make her scared to go hunting. I wouldn't be concerned at all with the .22 mag for just one shot.

Originally Posted By: rookie7born2climb, Nice coyotes. What kind of .22 mag do you have? Ammo you shooting? And what kind of accuracy at 100 do you get out of it?

This.
And welcome to the boards.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaWell I'm glad that you are doing good Chupa. So are you coming to our campfire party?.....lol.

He needs too, we need a wookie lover.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttVaughan, swing by and pick me up on your way there. I'll make duck kabobs over the fire for everyone. You sir got your self a deal, Will it be wild duck?

Yup wild duck. It was still flying yesterday. Mallards and canvasbacks.

Got some orange BBQ duck in the oven rite now. With some potatoes smeared in bacon grease rolled in sea salt wrapped in tinfoil getting baked along with it.

Originally Posted By: rookie7born2climb,

Nice coyotes. What kind of .22 mag do you have? Ammo you shooting? And what kind of accuracy at 100 do you get out of it?

It looks like I'll be buying a .22 mag. It seems it has an edge in killing power over the .17hmr on bobcats and yotes. Once bobcat and fox season are over here, I'll get the .223 back out. Bobcat and fox start in December.

Plus, I have one more concern that may lead me to take the .22 mag on certain hunts - when one of my daughters go with me. My 4 yr old went with me this morning after I finished deer hunting. I practiced with her covering her ears when I said, "Cover your ears", but I'm concerned that she won't do it sufficiently. I don't want the blast from the .223 to damage her hearing nor make her scared to go hunting. I wouldn't be concerned at all with the .22 mag for just one shot.

I have a Marlin 882SSV, which is their heavy-barrel, stainless model, with 7-shot clip. I also have a Marlin 883SS, which is the tube-fed version with standard weight barrel and laminated stock (also stainless).

I have the best results out of CCI Maxi-Mag, 40-grain hollow points. Out of the heavy barrel, I have shot several sub-1-inch groups. I haven't had the other one long enough to try it for accuracy, though at shorted ranges it seems adequate. I have a permanent target 250 yards from my front porch, and at one time, I could ring a 7" steel plate at that distance, after learning how much holdover was required.

The coyote I killed last year was a pass-through (ribcage), which is all I can ask of any caliber/bullet. The front-on chest shot two weeks ago did not pass through, but she fell in her tracks. I have been more than pleased with the overall performance of the .22 magnum.

As to muzzle blast, I use ear plugs or muffs when I'm target shooting, but seldom for one shot at game. It's quite a bit louder than a standard .22, but then I have sensitive ears. I wear hearing protection for running a pushmower, circular saw, you name it. I make a living running chainsaws, so I spend much of my time with plugs in my head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Is that you in your avatar pic b2c?

Yes, sir. That's about 50' up in the top of a huge water oak, taking out the last top.

It would be sweet if they'd let you use a tuned-up Korean bigbore airgun in .45caliber......likely a better killer than any .22Mag load.

First a disclaimer....I haven't shot 100 coyotes, kissed Jennifer Lopez or arm wrestled Chuck Norris...Or even Chuck Hawks for that matter so my thoughts don't count for much, but here I go anyway....

I looked up the ballistics for 22 mags and I found that a 40 grain slug has about 325 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

I looked up the 30/30...when using a 150 grain bullet it generates 1737 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

Few dispute the fact that the 30/30 is a stone cold killer on deer when placed properly from the muzzle out to 150 yards....If we said the average deer shot with a 30/30 was 170 pounds, we could point to the ballistics chart and say that the foot pounds of energy that a 30/30 generates at the muzzle is roughly 10 times the average weight of the animals it kills cleanly....

If we apply this same logic to the 22 mag you could make the case that within the proper range and with proper placement that the 22 is appropriate for game that weighs 10% of the energy the cartridge generates at the muzzle...If the muzzle energy is 325 foot pounds, that would point to an animal weighing 32.5 pounds....That weight range would include both coyotes and bobcats...

Shot placement and not stretching the range would seem to be the keys to successfully using a 22 mag, just as the same factors are key when using a 30/30 for deer....

Whoa there, that makes to much sence. Someone delete this post. ADam

This all makes sense to me...but I should probably point out that I do with my deer hunting with a 7 mag, which is overkill, but I've got 100% confidence in it....

Back