alaskan caller success rates

alaska-scott

hi guys i am usually trapping during the winter and do fairly well but i am thinking about working through this winter and would not have time to run the trap line so i am looking at predator calling as another option i went and bought a remington 700 sps varmint .204 and i have an old fp38 and a few hand calls and i have tried about a dozen stands and finally got some coyotes yipping and howling in the distance at me i never saw them but they were out there, now from what i have read on the forums the guys up here have a very low success rate alot of them dont shoot an animal until there third season and im just trying to get an idea if this is the norm before i go and spend another grand on a top of the line caller and camo. thanks scott

Scott,
I think you will get a variety responses depending on where the caller lives. Much has to do with predator density and timing. Where I live we have a pretty good fox population. I don't even think about calling until about mid December. Even then I expect it to be a little slow, sometimes my ratio is as low as 1 in 12 stands. After about the first week of January it gets a lot better and my rate goes up to around 1 in 3 stands, including doubles once in a while. I use both mouth and electronic calls, depnding on the location, weather and how many times I called it, and with which call/sound I used there in the last year or so. For an e-caller I have a Spitfire, and while it isn't the best on the market it is fine for me (until it breaks- then I will upgrade
smile.gif
) Stay at it and you will succeed! I trap the early season and call the later season. Works for me!

Greg

Like fxkllr said depends on your location in the state and time of winter also temperature has A LOT to do with it I have noticed.Seems the sweet spot up here is between -10 and -30 for me anyways. Your success rate will probably be pretty low compared to the storys we read on here about the lower 48 people with their super yote populations however I have found a few "honey holes" that usually produce due to the coyote/ wolf populations growing and them hating each other. IE run some yote calls and you will probably get a wolf coming in to run them off if there are any in the area.

thanks for the info guys im working on getting all geared up for the season i bought a remington 700 sps varmint in .204 and im loving that thing,its the most accurate rifle i have ever owned, i have no problems hitting soda cans,clays at 300+yd even though i wouldnt normally have to shoot that far, and i orderd a cs-24 a day or two ago and cant wait for that to show up now i just need to get some snow camo im looking at redhead insulated parka and bibs in realtree ap snow.

Kinda doing the same thing myself. I'm getting a CS-24 hopefully before November.

I'd like to knock back the wolf population a bit.

Alaska-Scott: I sincerely recommend that you send a pm to Snowcamoman who lives up there in God's country. He can give you some valuable information about features that will be important to you in that harsh climate. He puts all of his equipment through a real survival test, traveling around on a snowmobile, and has his CS-24 set up to be double durable and reliable. His predator hunting success has dramatically increased since getting his CS-24.

You might want to consider getting the 15W CS-24. Sometimes, Foxpro runs them at the same price as the 10W, depending on availability.

Good hunting at ya!

thanks possumal i have talked to snowcamoman, and i had my cs-24 done up simmlar to his, freeze proof wires and double batteries, i have all the gear i need now except snow camo and i have that orderd its just takeing basspro forever to get it to me. but once thats here i will be chasing yotes around.

well the snow camo showed up today so im going to try and make it out and make a couple stands this evening its a little early still for prime fur but i dont mind. also here is a pic of what i did sat. i made a post in bow hunting, anywat here is my winter meat.
[img:center][/img]

well i made it out and made a stand and the cs-24 works i called in a cross fox at about the 10min mark and didnt get a shot on him so no pics but i will go back and get him in a couple days. it was pretty awesome though i got to see him bounceing in from about 400yd out im a bad guess at yardage but i would say i started to pull the trigger on him at 150-200yd and he moved and ended up going in the trees so i sat and tried changing sounds and going quiet and he never showed up, he did come in down wind but i set up in a way that down wind was out in an open field. this was the first animal i have called in and on my first set with my new gear, it was a pretty good rush seeing him come in i just wish i would have pulled the trigger a little faster so i could show you guys but im sure he will still be there i would try tomorrow evening but i gota go butcher and wrap moose meat then go to work for 3 days, so here's hoping i will have a pic for you guys mon. night. AK-scott

Last edited:
interior, north pole to be exact also if its about the moose i got an archery draw permit for sep16-feb28. it only took me 7 years to get drawn for any permit, hopefully i have better luck this year with a sheep permit.

Last edited:
Wtg. . I spent this summer & fall in Fbls. Area. I saw a few fox and heard a few packs of coyotes real regular. If you pm me I'll tell you exactly where the coyotes were.

Nope, i was just wondering your location. Good job on the Moose though, all i thought was i wish i had a little more time for filling my tag.lol.

BTW, im in St. Marys. waiting for my replacement caller to get here to go after some fox. Good luck man
thumbup.gif

thanks bigsky i have seen on the trapperman forum there is alot of fox around st. marys i went out this morning to try and get that fox, everything looked great going in there were fresh tracks everywere but i didnt get any takers i think i will let that spot rest a while and call it right before a snow.

how are ou liking that redhead gear? does it fit well and is it pretty warm and comfortable? i ordered som StormKloth snow camo and then they called and said they wont ship to AK no matter what, so i either have to send it to the states to my dad and have him ship it or get something else. also looking at Kings camo

Back