2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth

Is it wise to use both Bena and Dexa?

Do you think that dogs who have been bitten previously have any resistance to the effects of future bites?

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK
Do you think that dogs who have been bitten previously have any resistance to the effects of future bites?

i do 100% I have dogs who have been bitten several times over the years, and each time, the affects are much less. The last time my pit was bit it was by a baby cotton mouth, about 12 inches long, it got her on the lip, got her so good that it stuck there, she shook, spun, and floped until the snake let go, and flung it, then proceded to kill it. this was about her 4th copperhead bight to the head, and she barely swelled up this time, just the lip swelled up. THe first time it was her whole head, then just the bottom part of her head, until now she barely swells at all.

Its not just her, it seems all my dogs have been bitten more than once, and each time they take it better than the time before.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKIs it wise to use both Bena and Dexa?

yep, every one is a little less hard on them. our poisonous snake here is a small rattler called a masasauga sp? a 18 inch snake is a big one with most around a foot long. catdaddy posted his coonhounds swelled up so did my old farm dog his eyes and nostrils would swell shut,his tounge would stick out and he would look like he!! for a couple days. my vet said if they make it after the first incounter they should make it from there on. but he might of meant our little rattlers. i have in laws in texas and they can keep them big S.O.B down there!
laugh.gif
they look like they could poison a horse.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKIs it wise to use both Bena and Dexa?

When Sarge got bit by the copperhead, the Dex was a one-time injection at the vet's office about thirty minutes after the bite. The Benadryl was every 8 hours or so for the next few days.
He got bit on a Saturday evening, and all of the swelling was gone by the following Wednesday evening.
We called the vet just a few minutes after he got bit, and he said we better bring him in because of his small size..he only weighed 26 pounds at the time.
As far as the effect being less on subsequent bites, I hope we never find out!!
laugh.gif

The first time the Brittany was bit, he was swelling bad in 10 minutes. One dose of Benadryl and 12 hours later, you could barely find where he was bit.
But that was a smallish copperhead.
I think some dogs handle it better than others for some reason.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I think some dogs handle it better than others for some reason.

Shayne

Yep, I think the size of the dog has a lot to do with it.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I think some dogs handle it better than others for some reason.

Shayne

Yep, I think the size of the dog has a lot to do with it.

I don't know about this, my 10 lb jrt took 'em on the nose like a champ. Only problem was one time a fang went through her nasal, and from then on she would whistle when she started to get winded. Kindof handy when she was working a brush pile, you knew right where she was!

Last edited:
canines have an incredible healing ability, that's for sure. Size also helps too, I had my English Coonhound get nailed by a copperhead when he was 13 months old and he was good as new in 48 hrs. he looked like [beeep] the first few hrs... After that bite, he wasn't bothered by wasp stings or anything of that sort.

Back