Harley Whiskey Barrel Trailer (Photos)

KAG

I made one these several years ago and loved it. So I spent the last several days making a another one. I Built the trailer portion from a kit and used a chop saw and welder to pieced it together. You have to adjust the dimensions of it. It turned out 32x48.

The decking is treated lumber stained with dark oak stain then sealed. I used self tapping screws to attach it to the frame of the trailer.

The barrel is an old oak whiskey barrel, these things are very tough to work with. When you cut through the bands it really makes a bang as there is quite a bit of pressure to these things as its fire formed. If you do not secure the staves it will just fall completely apart when you cut through it.

I sanded, stained, then sealed the barrel. The inside I used an angle grinder with sanding wheels to remove the charcoal from the oak. I then skimmed the inside with silicone to weather proof it. I plan to add upholstery tot he inside later. I attached the hardware, put a wooden Ice chest in front that holds about 18 beers plus ice. I wired it up and then attached the fenders. I have maybe 60 hours in it. It pulls great and just had it up to 75mph and it tracks true. Ice cold beer up front in the ice chest, small BBQ grill, charcoal, chairs, and misc stuff in the barrel. I plan to attach several large Harley patched to the barrel and ice chest to personalize it later.

Good times......

Barrel1.jpg

Barrel2.jpg

Barrel.jpg

Barrel3.jpg

Last edited:
KAG, That looks great.. I notice that you only have a single hinge on the lid, or is that one for looks, with a piano hinge on the inside... I would think that there is a possibility of the lid twisting with only one when open..

Wow, some talent to put that together, nice job....I have one question, being that the barrel might crack or lose its mountings from road vibration, or do you have it mounted with some type of rubber mounts? Neat idea though, could be the start of a nice business on the side.........

John

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldTurtleKAG, That looks great.. I notice that you only have a single hinge on the lid, or is that one for looks, with a piano hinge on the inside... I would think that there is a possibility of the lid twisting with only one when open..

I see three hinges one welded/bolted to each barrel band left and right of the center hinge

I don't know what your cost is but you needed to pull it on over to the nearest Harley dealer and see if he thinks he can sell them if your so inclined.

Last edited:
Quote:I see three hinges one welded/bolted to each barrel band left and right of the center hinge ....You're right...You've definitely got much better eyes than I do...They blended in so well, that I had to pull it back up and really look closely to see the bolt heads..

I'd almost bet that all he would have to do is park it at some of the local bike rallies and he could stand there and take orders...that way all profit goes into his pocket...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
I'd almost bet that all he would have to do is park it at some of the local bike rallies and he could stand there and take orders...that way all profit goes into his pocket...

Thanks all.....Absolutely no orders for me....these things are hard to work with. Probably if one of my buddies wanted to make one I would of course help him but really what we have here is "I wonder if ?" then it takes on a life of its own... and I know many of you know exactly what I am talking about. Anymore the wife just looks at me and asks..."And how much is this next crazy idea going to cost me", I always just smile at her and tell her it will be cheaper than a lawyer.....I am not sure she thinks so... but she endures....

When I hauled it through the gate on post the soldier checking ID's asked me..."Is there really whiskey in that?", I said, "there sure is" and he just smiled as I rode away....just funny.

I have added patches now to give it a little character. I can not wait to get the inside tricked out....I have driven the ALCAN hwy several times but want to so bad ride my harley up it with my camping gear in my barrel trailer and then take the ferry back down....dreaming

barrel7.jpg

barrel8.jpg

barrel9.jpg

barrel10.jpg

barrel11.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john1951Wow, some talent to put that together, nice job....I have one question, being that the barrel might crack or lose its mountings from road vibration, or do you have it mounted with some type of rubber mounts? Neat idea though, could be the start of a nice business on the side.........

John

Hard to see it but under the barrel between it and the deck is a cradle on that is also secured with internal deck screws. It is secured rock solid. All around the barrel where the metal stave bands are, have 1/4 hex drive w/rubber washer (pole barn screws) 3/4" long screws securing each stave on each band to prevent the staves from coming loose. They are painted black to blend in.

Last edited:
Back