Ramshot Hunter in the 22-250

Dixiedog1

I picked up a jug of Ramshot Hunter powder while I was at Cabelas today, on the jug it was recommended for 22-250...problem is I didn't see load data for use with 50 or 55 gr V-Max bullets in their manual. Anybody use Ramshot Hunter with the 22-250 in a 50 or 55 gr Vmax or similar bullet?

I have loaded up 40 grains of Big Game with a 50 grain v-max and GM210M primers, doesn't do too bad but my gun likes other loads better. It meters very well for what it's worth.

The Ramshot powder manual is available for free at the Ramshot web site; tons of lab researched loads [not Internet loads!] are listed for the 22/250 with Hunter powder.

You are another one who buys a brand of powder BEFORE you have the respective loading manual....that is backwards!

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecial

You are another one who buys a brand of powder BEFORE you have the respective loading manual....that is backwards!

Way to jump to conclusions...I've got several manuals along with Quickload software....I was looking for real world experience with that powder and cartridge. Thanks for your input though
rolleyes.gif

On a side note if you look at the Ramshot online manual it lists Big Game powder not Hunter from what I've seen.

Turbo6046:

I stand corrected and I am GLAD: good to see you have some manuals. If Hunter is not listed in the on-line Ramshot manual for the 22/250, I suggest you contact Ramshot to see if they can provide a starting load.

[The now-superseded Ramshot version 4.3 manual has a starting load of 39.4 gr. Hunter for the 220 Swift with the 50 gr. Nosler B-Tip bullet and for the 50 grain Hornady V-Max it lists 37 gr. of of Big Game; so that may give some comparison, albeit with different bullets of the same weight, and in a different caliber than the 22/250].

If you choose to not call Ramshot, of course, it is your choice on where to start, or not.

I prefer the powder company's lab experience over real world experience when choosing a starting load.....

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Back