[b]Chrony question[/b]

newmexkid

Went to the range to, "chrony" some new reloads. My first 3 shots recorded about what I expected. However, my next 7 shots were all over the place, from 3500FPS to 1800FPS. The battery has never been removed from the unit since new.Is it possible the battery ran down even though the Chrony wasn't being used?? Also, this was only the 2nd time I have used the unit, (purchased new about 9 months ago).

It is possible but generally speaking if I get odd readings with my chrono it's one of two things....the sun is giving it fits and it's not reading correctly or it is too close to the muzzle and muzzle blast is causing a problem.

I also take a black marker and color the bullets on those bullets I'm planning to shoot over my chrono, it seems to help some of the reflection issues on sunny days.

most likely a lighting issue. unless this is a fancy chrono, and being you've only used it a couple times I'm assuming its more budget friendly, they normally only like clear bright days.

I discovered the diffusers on my Chrony were flapping in the muzzle blast of my .220 last time I shot and I was getting some weird readings. They've just kinda wore out where the pieces lock together and one of them would pop off the rod now and then. I ordered two new sets of diffusers last week and I'm good to go now. Hopefully that was the reason for the weird velocity readings.

I've also had muzzle blast and lighting issues cause problems too. I generally set up about 15 feet from the muzzle and that seems to have been far enough. When the sun is shining down into the sensor slots I'll fashion something out of paper and tape, or whatever I can find, to shade the slots.

My first Chrony developed the habit of showing strange readings just from the shock when someone else down the line would touch one off. I'm a veteran electronics tech and maybe I could have figured it out, but an upgrade/trade-in with Chrony was just too easy and attractive a deal so I am on my second one now.

Back