Wounded grizzly kills hunter in remote Montana

d2admin

Administrator
(Which brings to mind the question: has any predator hunter actually been attacked by a coyote? I don't mean a coyote running toward a call not knowing the hunter was there, but rather a coyote actually trying to bite the coyote hunter.)

Wounded grizzly kills hunter in remote Montana

A grizzly bear wounded by a hunter later attacked and killed the hunter's partner Friday after the two men tracked the animal in a remote area along the Idaho-Montana boarder, authorities said.

Bell shot and wounded a young male grizzly, believing it to be a black bear, undersheriff Brent Faulkner said.

"They tracked the bear into an area of heavy cover where Mr. Stevenson was attacked by the wounded grizzly bear," Faulkner said in a news release late Friday.

"Mr. Bell was able to shoot the bear multiple times, eventually killing it," he said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/09/16/national/a154959D84.DTL

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

A 39-year-old hunter killed by a wounded grizzly bear yelled out to draw the 400lb male bear toward him in an effort to keep it from attacking his young hunting partner, the man's family said.

Steve Stevenson, of Winnemucca, Nevada, died on Friday after 20-year-old Ty Bell wounded what he thought was a black bear and the two men tracked it into thick cover along the Idaho-Montana border where it attacked at about 10am .

'They both shot it and it kept coming,' Steve Stevenson's mom, Janet Price, said. 'Steve yelled at it to try and distract it, and it swung around and took him down. It's what my son would have done automatically, for anybody.'

'They tracked the bear into an area of heavy cover where Mr. Stevenson was attacked by the wounded grizzly bear,' Lincoln County Undersheriff Brent Faulkner said in a news release late on Friday.

'Mr Bell was able to shoot the bear multiple times, eventually killing it,' he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...conds-late.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation, did they begin tracking the wounded bear too soon. I understand with most game you should wait long enough to give it time to expire. I would not want to come up on a black bear that was wounded and scared let alone a grizzly.

Steve,
This happened just north and east of Bonners Ferry, Idaho. I lived and worked there for six years, awesome community. I spoke with a good buddy of mine who knows Ty Bell personally, and after shooting the bear, they sat and watched it for over 45 minutes. The bear dropped in its tracks, and when they approached after the wait, it came after them both. Very tragic incident. The first words from the Montana Game and Fish officer who investigated the incident were, "That looks just like a black bear", the only true indicator that it was a grizzly was the claws. No hump, no dished face...a true black bear look alike.

I have hunted this ridge where this happend
dose anyone know if they're are photos of the bear i sure would like to see them
in 2007 i watched a sow with cubs in a box canyon about 7 mile to the west of here

Last edited:
i have read a lot a reports on this one says he was shot others say bell ran out of ammo ran back to camp a got another gun which ever happend is a sad story and our thoughts and prayers are with the family im looking for a pic of this bear that the MT fish and wildlife officer said that it looked like a black bear no hump and no dished face

Originally Posted By: ArhoadesAny link to the story to back that up?

It is indeed a sad fact. I do not have a links to post but it has been reported in more than one news paper as well as local TV news coverage. This info was released 2 weeks after the incident.

Originally Posted By: ArhoadesAny link to the story to back that up?

Victim in Montana grizzly attack was shot by friend
Story Discussion Victim in Montana grizzly attack was shot by friend
MATTHEW BROWN The Billings Gazette | Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Authorities say a hunter attacked by a grizzly in a Montana forest was killed not by the bear, but by a gunshot fired by a companion trying to save him.

Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe said Friday that 39-year-old Steve Stevenson of Winnemucca, Nev., died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. The cause of death was determined by the medical examiner with the Montana State Crime Lab.

The shot was fired by 20-year-old Ty Bell, also of Winnemucca, as he attempted to stop the bear's attack.

Bell had earlier shot and wounded what he thought was a black bear during a Sept. 16 hunting trip along the Montana-Idaho border. The two men tracked the wounded grizzly into thick cover, where it apparently turned on Stevenson.

I have taken 57 black bears in my lifetime, i never take chances when hunting with my young son, I use a 404 Jeffery and always pay the insurance.

The bear was on his buddy and he shot the bear and it went through the bear and hit his partner and the autopsy said accidental death by gunshot. No charges were filed.

I hunt in Griz country and always told my son if a bear gets me down let him chew on me till you get a clear shot cause I don't want to get shot..

Back