compressed load question

im trying to load some new 243win with retumbo and a 105 berger VLD. I started with 46 grains and when i seated the bullet i could hear the crush. I dont know much about compressed loads and i just pulled them until someone can explain that it is safe or not. Ive loaded a bunch of others with other powder and my coal is 2.65. i had to go this short to get the bolt to close on them and the hornady book says 2.63 anyway. Am i doing something wrong???

I have some loads that are a light compression. It's good, there's no space now for the powder to shift around. That kind of load often shows the lowest SD.

Now if it was clear at the top of the case mouth and compressed as soon as I started the bullet I may be getting concerned, but I've never heard it was "dangerous".

What is Retumbo, ball or stick powder?

I really dont like compressed loads. I've had some that pushed the bullet back out of the case after time. Look in the manuals for a load rated at about 98 percent density, might mean a change in powder but worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted By: kycamtrakkerits stick, i see people shooting 49gr of it, but that would fill my cases in the neck!

Lots of air space in there, I'd let it crunch. It's just mashing some broken kernals into the space between them.
Ball powder has very little space to compact into. I wouldn't try compressing that very much.

When I had my 300 Whisper (not AAC) it was shooting a 240g SMK from it and you want to talk about crush. That case would be filled with 4198 and then shove a 240gr bullet in it, yeah crush....Adam

Drop tube might help, also pour slowly. Nothing wrong with compressed loads as long as you don't exceed published loads. I compress most .223 loads of 25.5 grains IMR 4895, which fills the case up to the rim if you pour fast. Nosler book says 102%.

Compressed loads are fine, don't worry about them. Some of my most accurate 308 loads are compressed charges...come to think of it all of my most accurate 223 loads are compressed too.

Back